Greenie
Dec 19, 2018
Eastern Penna
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,
Just looking for some input here. I've been using my BHTRIV now for about a year and really like the hobby. I like the Bounty hunter line and have been contemplating an upgrade. I'm leaning towards a BH Discovery 3300 as the next step up and after checking out the reviews on line, my only concern is the recovery time. How do others feel about this? Is it a genuine concern? I don't want to be hampered and missing stuff because I'm swinging too fast. What 's your opinion's?
Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I wanted to move up in the BH line, I'd look for a Land Ranger Pro. I swung one for a few weeks before I sold it to a friend for a good price, because he really really wanted it and I already had my F75LTD. I prefer DD coils over concentric and the BH 3300 comes with a concentric. I used to swing the Fisher F4 (Fisher version of the BH 3300) as my upgrade from my 1st detector, an el cheapo TC-1023. The F4 had the stock DD, a depth indicator, it had notching ability, and it displayed target ID numbers. I enjoyed it for about 5 months that would have hit on the majority of my good finds. First Texas owns Bounty Hunter, Fisher, and Teknetics. I think you'd find a transition to any of these manufacturers easy since they run the same tones.

Good Luck on whatever you choose.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Iceman, I agree with Loco. I will add this to his comments. First Texas Products use what are called "Processes" to all their units. Your TRKR IV uses what is commonly called the "BH Process" most older BH models created before 2006 use this. Any of their units created after 2008 are going to have a faster recovery speed due to the use of the "T2" and other "Process designs" that help in this area. I love all the F-75 models and a Teknetics T2 would work great too, but if money is an issue look at the Bounty Hunter Pro line if you want faster recovery speed. Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Lone Star pro. I have used the Titanium and Platinum units with great performance Review and these two are available with a DD coil.
Good Luck and Stay Gold!!
Opie

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3300 is not bad for the price, if you don't mind swinging slow. I would spring the extra bucks for a Land Ranger Pro though. Much faster recovery and deeper. Only problem is the pinpoint button. I modified mine with a trigger switch though. Pretty easy to do and you can lock it into pinpoint when you want too as well.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also agree with Loco. I have rarely heard anything bad regarding the LRP. Especially for the price point! Lots of mid range features at an entry cost.

JMaynard

Aug 4, 2018
Texas
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger, BH Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok to quantify my response, I do not have the 3300, I have a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, and thanks to a work bonus (and my wife saying yes to the Land Ranger, but not a Nox800) I got a Land Ranger Pro, so that is where my opinions are coming from. My father has a Tracker IV, and he really likes it, and honestly I was impressed with it. Now, I haven't really learned the Land Ranger Pro yet (only had it out on a couple of hunts) but its recovery and detection speed has been good, if you can't slow your swing speed down. Now again I haven't learned the detector yet, but I recently dug up a number of fence posts and decided I wasn't going to let a good opportunity go to waste and detected the loose dirt and holes that I dug up, and one of the more impressive (and disappointing detection's was an old circle pop tab, and nail in the same hole and there was two distinct sounds, almost instantly. There was a deep grunt, followed immediately by a higher pitch. There was no silence in between. Now as others have said, the pin point button does leave something to be desired. I have average sized hands, and sometime it doesn't like to activate properly, but that's why I carry the old reliable carrot pinpointer. I will say the Time Ranger used to frustrate me, but so far I am loving the Land Ranger Pro (still haven't found much with it, just some clad but I like it). Also I didn't really think much about it, but the weight difference is quite remarkable. A final note that I really like, is that the Land Ranger Pro comes with a DD coil. Don't get me wrong, the Time Ranger with its concentric coil was a coin beast, my best finds with that one were a 1945 Uno centavo, and a 1943 Mercury Dime, but I like the DD coil.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good post differenr detecters for different people I love my machine and have found lots of gold and silver and relics use what wotks for you getting your coil over the target is 90 prcent of finding good targets

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and good luck. Tommy

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that pinpoint button ends up frustrating you too much try the mod below. I just used a switch but not the extra button.The switch I bought locks in one direction and is momentary the other direction. Pull the trigger for intermittent pinpoint and push it back to lock it into pinpoint. They should have done this at the factory.
Here's the mod:
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro Pinpoint Modification
Here's the switch I used:
https://www.alliedelec.com/c-k-7107syzqe/70128513/
I wired the two outside terminals of the switch together and soldered them to one of the board connections. I soldered the center terminal of the switch to the other board connection.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro since they came out 3-4 years ago. Liked it so much I bought the lesser Quick Draw Pro as a backup. There hasn't been any reason for me to feel that I wanted more or to upgrade. It's so fast, I virtually never use the PP button. And it's as deep as I'm willing to dig. The Fratbros detectors are superior to the older George Payne line, IMO. And I don't see a big difference between my past favorite Fisherf5 and my LRP. The AM mode with meter readout is just so deep, fast and awesome. And with a little time, you PP right over the target every time like a Tesoro. For the money, there's nothing better in it's price range, or twice the price, IMO. Very happy. And I have had many other brands.

OP
OP
I

Iceman142

Greenie
Dec 19, 2018
Eastern Penna
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info and thanks to all. I guess now all I have to do is look for a deal on an LRP. I DO like my BHIV and it gives me lots and lots of fun in the field. I did a tot lot the other day and spent 2 hours digging and collecting. It found me 4 quarters, 6 nickels, 8 dimes, 12 pennies and only 2 pull tabs. Between my disc and learning the tones its doing a fine job. Still no silver though.... :(
I used it on the beach in NC last summer and had a blast. Even in the surf line! It kept on finding target after target. It makes me wonder why the bad rep on the bounty hunter brand.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great info and thanks to all. I guess now all I have to do is look for a deal on an LRP. I DO like my BHIV and it gives me lots and lots of fun in the field. I did a tot lot the other day and spent 2 hours digging and collecting. It found me 4 quarters, 6 nickels, 8 dimes, 12 pennies and only 2 pull tabs. Between my disc and learning the tones its doing a fine job. Still no silver though.... :(
I used it on the beach in NC last summer and had a blast. Even in the surf line! It kept on finding target after target. It makes me wonder why the bad rep on the bounty hunter brand.
It has nothing to do with BH being bad. It's more that many think what they have is better. Up to a 7" depth, my LRP will find anything any detector will find. People pay more for improved depth and some bells and whistles. But in the end, most MDs will find enough to keep you busy, no matter the make. One of the greatest finds was done with a Garrett Ace 150. I posted the story on here, but it was a few years back and can't remember. It was a cache of extremely old gold coins in South Asia.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread