New MDr in Quitman, MS

rhan101277

Jun 15, 2008
New MD'r in Quitman, MS

I have just been metal detecting for a week, wanted to pick up the hobby ever since watching that famous Florida coast documentary on Spanish ship wrecks. Now I have been doing alot of research in my home area, plus I have 2.5 acres of my own land to hunt on. I would like to find out as much as I can about it. I know indians were there before they got run out. I have been reading the forums alot and found some good places to locate old maps for free. If anyone is near Quitman and wants to go detecting with a newbie let me know.

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New MD'r in Quitman, MS

Nice to have you aboard. You should have several good places to MD in an older town like Quitman. Talk to some of the older people about the history, different things that have went on around there and any buried treasures stories they might know of. School yards, playgrounds and parks are always good places to hunt. There are a lot of good MDers on Treasurenet that might be able to pass on some info and advice about local spots to try. Good Luck.

OP
OP
R

rhan101277

Jun 15, 2008

redbronco said:
Nice to have you aboard. You should have several good places to MD in an older town like Quitman. Talk to some of the older people about the history, different things that have went on around there and any buried treasures stories they might know of. School yards, playgrounds and parks are always good places to hunt. There are a lot of good MDers on Treasurenet that might be able to pass on some info and advice about local spots to try. Good Luck.

For schoolyards, parks and playgrounds you don't need to obtain permission right? Also roadsides.

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have never had any problems at school yards or playgrounds. If you know who owns or oversees a park, I would check about rules, regulations and if they might require permission. State Parks are off limits in Mississippi, unless you know someone that you can get permission from. City and County Properties usually do not have anything against people MDing, as long as you cover your digging back up and are not on the lawn at the courthouse. Some people say it is easier to ask for forgiveness the permission. A good MDer will always ask for permission, leave a neat, clean site and be able to go back again. You might also check into some Civil War info around Enterprise.

boopsie1314

Mar 14, 2006
mississippi

go and talk to the man that lives next to the post office in sarah,his name is j.t. bridgman,he can show you where the old town of sarah is.good site to hunt.

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet

Welcome aboard! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I too am fairly new to this hobby. I live next to Enid Lake and enjoy detecting the beaches and playgrounds there. I've also been able to get permission to hunt some old shotgun house sites. Lovin the hobby. PM me if you get over this way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread