New Member coin roll finds

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Just found your site and was amazed to know there really is a site for coin roll hunting.
I read with interest all the finds that all of you have found, especially the large 28 rolls
of silver half dollars from a bank. The pictures were great. For those of you that stated
that it was a once in a life time event, I must tell you of some of the finds that I have
been lucky to score. First, I live on the east coast and have been coin roll hunting for
half dollars as a hobbie for the past three years (I do not order boxes, just whatever the
tellers have loose or in rolls). Being retired, I have plenty of time to take rides around the
area. In 2007, not too many people were actually going to banks asking for half dollars
so I usually got many rolls that they had for many months. I got different scores of 7, 4,
and 8 rolls of all 90% silver walkers and Fanklins, as well as 12, 8, 6, and 4 rolls of Kennedy
40% halves. In fact, over the past three years, due to tough economic times, I still get
periodic complete rolls and mixed rolls of 40% Kennedy halves almost monthly. Probably
must just be my area. Now for the largest score. In May 2007, I was lucky to get 23 rolls of all
90% Walkers and Franklins at a bank out of state. Went to family and needed to cash a
check. Happened to ask the lady if she had any half dollars and she said she had $230 worth.
I only took five rolls as they looked like they were someone's "dump". When I looked at the
rolls in my car I couldn't believe my eyes. All 90% walkers. Needless to say I returned to
the bank and got the other 18 rolls just before the bank closed. Without giving up any
excitement, I asked the teller how long she's had the rolls and she said, "about 4 months".
I asked if there were any other rolls of coins brought in with the halves and she said "no".
She told me she was glad to get rid of them as they took up too much room. When I got
back in my car I drove a short way and then seached the 18 rolls and they were all 90%
walkers and Franklins. Not one Kennedy. The total score was 23 rolls. Most of them were
in really nice to excellent condition, but no rare dates. Sorry I don't have photos to show, but
the fact is silver halves are still out there waiting to be found. You just have to be the lucky
one who gets there first after someone has deposted them. Anyway, I just thought I would let
you all know of my "once in a life time find" and it's almost unbelieveable that those coins
were in that bank for four months without anyone else asking if they had any half dollars.
Again...this was 2007 and perhaps not too many people were searching halves back then.
Also, along with my finds I get hundreds of rolls of what you guys call "Skunks" and "dumps"
all the time. It goes with the coin roll search hobby. Anyway, Keep hunting everyone, they're still out there.
rileyboy.

Upvote 0

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still waiting for my find of a lifetime, had some good finds, nothing like that

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! :thumbsup:
Welcome to the best, most diverse site on the planet for ALL topics of collecting, especially metal detecting.
You will find many know ledgable people here who have their specialties and can't be beat. Although there is some competition to be the first to identify "What Is It's."

Best Wishes,
Scott

PS. Riley. Is that like, Ft. Riley?

OP
OP
R

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Nothing to do with Ft. Riley. It's just the name of my yellow lab who rides with me
most of the day. He's seen so many coins in my car that I think he can tell a 1964 Kennedy
from a 1968. Also a reply to the member that asked if I was from the SE Va. area. No!
I'm more north. Also, the big "2007 mother load" I mentioned was found in NJ. Am really
enjoying this site. Lots of interesting stories and photos. Only wish I knew how to do
the pictures. Got 8 really beautiful uncirc 1964 Kennedy's in a roll Friday afternoon that I
would love to show everyone, but I don't know how it's done. Anyway, the coins are still
out there. Keep huntin'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread