New member from Lincolnshire, England

SuzanneB

Jul 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all - I am soon about to move house and cleared out my attic ready for the move. I found my late fathers metal detector kit - assembled with some additional components and handbook. It is the HeathKit GD-348 Deluxe Metal Locator 1972 model according to the handbook!

I used to go with my father detecting around Ludlow and historic sites as a child and we found a lot of treasures that are still at my mum's house - mainly old bottles and coins.

Firstly, I would like to know if the metal detector is worth anything or could it be used again. I do not really know how to use it myself or have the time these days as my hobby now is riding my Triumph motorcycle when I am not working.

Hope someone can give advice.

Suzanne

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard Suzanne! Take a look at Sub-Forums: England for information directly related to your country.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet from Texas. Technology has changed a great deal over the years, but if you have the instructions for using the machine, give it a go. Replace the battery, make sure the wires are not corroded and then turn the machine on. If it comes on, throw a couple coins out and pass the coil over them. The sound should change pitch. Learn the sounds and when out in the field, dig everything. If the detector doesn't work, you will find out. Then just go over to Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham and have a pint for me too. It's the oldest pub in your fair country and when you walk around in there you may really get excited about the things buried in your soil, from Vikings on down to the present. Used detectors can be had cheaply and some Bounty Hunter detectors are especially reasonable. Best of luck on your hunts...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Suzanne,

Give the old detector a try! As you know, metal detecting technology has increase from 1972, but if it works have fun.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Regards,

Doc

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions