New Member from NC

Eric H.

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2009
Hey guys,

Just joined the forum. My wife and I are looking into beginning relic hunting (both big Civil War buffs, got married 2 weeks ago in Gettysburg). Also, my best friend has a metal detector which he says he has never used because of being unsure about legality and where to go. I read the "Raleigh area questions" thread and that had some good info, but I just wanted to double check about the parks and stuff.. I want to make sure we dont get into any trouble digging up pocket change in a park.

My buddy is also interested in gold panning and has mentioned going to Uwharrie park, where you are allowed to pan in the creek beds. Do they allow metal detectors? Also, if your sifting silt from the creek bed and happen to run across a coin or something I would assume you would be allowed to keep it, since you found it panning, which is allowed and you weren't "relic hunting" per se.

We might try to get out this weekend if we can find somewhere to go.

Thanks!
Eric

RCarl

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2008
Welcome Eric H. I am a newbe myself. As you can tell from the number of replies to posts here, this is a pretty closed mouthed group! I am in eastern nc, specifically the Kinston/Greenville area and have pretty good results at just coin hunting in town parks. They are big into wood chips/rubber stuff to keep little spastic junior from hurting himself so it is easy to scoop up their prolific pocket change. As an older person/senior citizen it is wonderful how much money there is in our children's pockets!

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Eric,

Cwdigger here I live in winterville which is right outside of greenville nc, and all me and the2 guys I hunt with is dig civil war relics. I have been on tnet for some time and have a a couple of places that I could probably take you if you wanted to tag along, just let me know. You can either email me which can be found on my profile of P.M. me and we will get together and talk.

Where are you located which part of nc?

OP
OP
E

Eric H.

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for the replies,

Today my buddy and I went with his detector to a local park and dug some modern clad from under the swing set (4 quarters and two dimes), You're right about the wood chips.. made it easy to dig and really easy to refill our holes.

CWdigger, I'm in Raleigh, my buddy lives in Garner. I would love to dig CW relics, as me and my wife are both big CW buffs. I imagine its hard to find places that aren't protected to dig. Shame all the battlefields are off limits, but I understand why, especially in a place like gettysburg.. not only are you likely to accidentally dig up a dead body, but if they let you dig bullets there, whats to stop you from trying to dig up a monument or defacing one. We've got a pretty good collection of bullets, buttons, marbles and shell fragments, but sadly those have all been purchased at stores.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Eric, Yes, findind sites for CW is hard work but very gratifying. It's all about doing your homework and hunting a ton of dry spots. There are muster grounds and skirmish sites left and I guarantee you. You just have to find them! Most guys are not going to tell you where they are either! have a good one!~! nice to meet you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread