New member - help on stone find

PNW

Nov 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings. New member. First time poster.

The stone in the following images was found near Indian Beach on the Oregon coast.

The notch doesn't look natural to me, but I have no idea. One side has some red coloring. The opposite side has what appear to be groove marks. Can't find anything similar with Google search.

I'm interested to hear what everyone here thinks.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1578.JPG IMG_1570.JPG

Upvote 0

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I don't know what it would be if it was an artifact. Notch looks like it just broke out, then smoothed a little by nature. IMO it is just a stone. Keep looking and welcome to the site.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Common beach cobble. Can be found on most beaches from Harbor to Astoria. Look for the rocks that have shell fossils. Found one partially agatized snail shell on Beverly Beach between Newport and Depoe Bay several years ago. Gave it to one of the grandkids.

Time for a good breve.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
natural, but keep looking. If you love the history enough, the artifacts will find you. Most of my greatest finds I wasn't looking for, just happened to see them when I stopped.

OP
OP
P

PNW

Nov 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, all good.

I really appreciate the warm welcome.

And the honest and direct but kind opinions.

I'll keep looking, and keep you posted.

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
It appears to be a natural rock and has no evidence of being worked. Do not let you in the least let dull your searches for prehistoric artifacts. Also don't over look natural defined shapes they are often so interesting and beautiful. Keep looking and your first artifact you will know immediately and it such a thrill. Enjoy the hunt like we do.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard PMW!
I agree with the others. It's curious- and something I would have brought home back in the days of my early hunts and education. Beaches are a great place to look, but beware of looking for worn rocks on a beach... Often too many 'suspicious rocks' and imposters! Keep at it though- and check low tides and places w/ freshly revealed erosion. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread