Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been coin roll hunting for about 9 months now and I have a few questions:

1.) How many boxes of pennies does it usually take to find any 1909 wheatie? I've found about 3,400 wheats and no 1909 dates yet

2.) I'm in the chicago area - who is the man who colors in the 'B' in liberty on the half dollars? I get atleast a few handfuls of his dumps every box (MWR). I wonder if he is a member on this site...

3.) How many silver dimes/halves did you find before you found your first barber? I've found lots of coins but no barbers yet.

4.) How do you guys get large dollar coins ordered?

Thanks

Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pick up large dollars loose from tellers. 4 silver Ike's and one silver Canadian so far for me.
HH

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the hobby. I'm not into hunting cents, so can't help you much there.
I think that marking coins has become a trend, probably no way to know who's marking what.
I found a Barber half (1894) in my first $500 in halves ever searched, my first Barber dime(s) about $5,000 into dime hunting.
You will have to do your legwork in order to find a joint that will order large dollars. There is no hocus-pocus involved.
Good luck.

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't found a 1909 either yet so can't help you there. Also haven't found any barber yet with a couple thousand halves and dimes searched. And the only way I've gotten the big dollars is the occasional teller find. Had some luck and got 8 morgan and 10 peace at one time a couple months ago

OP
OP
Eminem

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like i just need to continue my volume thanks :icon_thumleft:

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eminem said:
Sounds like i just need to continue my volume thanks :icon_thumleft:

Yup that always helps. The more you search the more you find

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I'd estimate I searched about $40k on halves before finding my first (and only) Barber. Never found a barber dime, but I haven't done nearly the volume of dimes as I have halves.

I've never been able to order large dollars. Most places will tell you they can't. There are a couple of folks on here that have been able to order them, but they have been very tight-lipped on their sources.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread