New Member here with question? Already Lol

Pikeslumber

Greenie
Feb 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I'm Matt from the Atlanta area and after wanting to get into detecting my whole life I finally have the time and ready to go.

I have a question if anyone wants to share their experience or expertise. I am interested in hunting mostly fields, parks, churchs, old home places, etc. I will be detecting in areas that have a lot of trash so discrimination and being able to block out a lot of that would be great. I want to buy a used detector because I believe I can get a better unit for my money. I guess along with the above importance to me would be good depth, discrimination, etc. I will not be around water and will be looking primarily for old coins.
I have read a lot but wondering about personal experiences. I have looked at the following as possibilities.

Teknetics Patriot
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics EuroPro
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett Ace line, can't afford the AT
Fisher F4 or F5
Minelab xterra 305

Any thoughts on the above or something I'm missing? Thanks

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet. Do your homework on the Whites MXT, it is a great machine and you can find them used at a reasonable price. I have had mine for several years, it is the one machine I will not sell.

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net. I too have the MXT and love it.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan :occasion14: :headbang:
I as well use my MXT for 90% of my detecting, but the Garrett Ace series is a good choice, the architectural profile is smaller on those and Tesoro's

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Northern Virginia :skullflag: I like the Garrett’s, but I have heard good stuff about pretty much all the machines you have listed which means my opinion isn’t all that helpful. I think I heard that Tesoro was closing it’s doors if so you wouldn’t have the customer service link.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - Welcome Aboard Matt! Take a look at Forum: Alabama for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - I noticed you ask your MD selection question on GENERAL DISCUSSION: First Detector Help Please ?? (Yesterday, 08:57 PM) and have some responses already!

3rd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...First and foremost Welcome to this T-Net Forum Pikeslumber. Now, as to the detectors you've listed, I'm sure any of them would be just dandy to learn and use, I have never owned any of those, so I really cannot comment much on them. The places you would like to hunt, are the same as most all of us do, and of course old coins are normally on the top of the list. As far as "trash", I can guarantee that you WILL dig trash. It is the "nature of the beast" in a manner of speaking. Quick example, it would be so nice not to ever deal with say "pull tabs". I have found those little puppies where they shouldn't even be. Yes, I can discriminate those out completely and never dig another, however, pull tabs, nickels and gold rings will most always fall within the same "window", both in sound and numbers, given the different shapes and sizes of pull tabs, and different sizes and thickness of rings. No matter what detector you might buy, there is a learning curve. After 30+ years of detecting, I still dig more trash then treasure by far. There have been fella's who have bought a detector thinking that they will just go out and find the "good stuff" right away, only to think that something is wrong with their detector, because all they are finding is junk. It's trial and error, learning what YOUR machine is trying to tell you. I will give you a word or two of caution though, when you find your first really good "keeper", (and you will), you might just be hooked for life, and nothing will be the same. In fact, where ever you go, you'll look at places in a "different" way, with the eye of a "metal detector" guy, thinking Hmmmm… that looks like it could be a good place. Again, welcome to the site, enjoy.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. I have a black Tesoro Vaquero and a Delta 4000. The Vaq is a relic beast and goes deep. Much more than a 'beep and dig' machine as some here will say. And contrary to what another member would say, (and shall remain nameless) the Vaquero will find small silver as my Trime and half-dime will attest.
The Delta 4000 is a nice machine too just keep it away from overhead power lines. I would prefer multiple frequencies on this one. It is one of the lightest detectors I have ever used and you can swing it all day without arm fatigue. The on-board pinpointer is very accurate.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll be very honest here. I presently own a CTX, Garrett DeepseekerADSIII, Modded Excal II, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Fisher 1260X, and an EQ800

Ignore the Excal II = a 100% absolutely GREAT water machine.

So, what do I swing on the dirt 90% of the time?

My Tesoro Tejon....

I'd go with the Vaquero.

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet. Do your homework on the Whites MXT, it is a great machine and you can find them used at a reasonable price. I have had mine for several years, it is the one machine I will not sell.

Yes, what Seabees said. Only my whites machine is an XLT probably a bit older. The part I like best is different sounds for different metals.

Dan

Also a former CB.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

You are looking at some nice machines...Good Luck and Happy Hunting! :occasion14:

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet Tommy

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi. I don't detect. I'm just here for the women.

OP
OP
P

Pikeslumber

Greenie
Feb 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked up the MXT and they were $500-$800. Am I looking at the wrong model?

OP
OP
P

Pikeslumber

Greenie
Feb 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi. I don't detect. I'm just here for the women.

The cheapest one I found on Ebay was $500 and that is way out of my ballpark unfortunately!

I have been looking at the Fisher F2 and the Delta 4000. Out of those any opinions? The F2 doesn't have the GB which I thought was pretty important, am I mistaken?

Last edited:

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked up the MXT and they were $500-$800. Am I looking at the wrong model?

Brand new yes, but used you can pick them up for as low as $250-350. Be sure to look on eBay, crigslist, penny saver, Facebook etc. The ground is still frozen, take your time because time is on your side right now. Good Luck. sb

Okdirtfisher64

Dec 22, 2018
Tulsa,Ok
Detector(s) used
F75+ fisher 11”,5” dd coils
F pulse pin pointer
Black widow headphones
Predator 31c raptor hand digger,
Whites mxt e-tracker stock 9” ,4x6,coil
Garrett AT Pro,ground shrark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting