New member introduction-Derbyshire, UK.

Don1

Jul 31, 2020
Derbyshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone! :hello:

Obviously, I'm new here, but not exactly new to treasure hunting. Over the years I've mainly rummaged around underwater but have, over the last few years become more interested in land based adventures. One that's keeps pulling me back is Bonnie Prince Charlie's loose change; over the last couple of years I've made some progress on the subject, although this has not, as yet, materialised into hard coinage, as it were (no surprises there then!). To be fair, most of the work is by the way of research and although I've visited the area many times I've only recently narrowed down two small areas of particular interest.
Should anyone have any information or interest on this I would be extremely glad to hear from you! I have an extremely wide skill-base but sadly, lack real expertise in the detection area. I have my own gear but this is now quite dated. I'd be more than happy to form a small, select team that could push this forward. We all know that the chance of success is relatively small, but the rewards on this one are good, both historically and financially. Adventure has always been my thing and this one's a belter.
I look forward to hearing something soon! :icon_thumleft:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :icon_thumleft:

CygnusX1

Jun 19, 2018
Covington, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll, Minelab Equinox 600 - Nokta Pinpointer, Xtreme scoop and handle.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard! :icon_thumleft:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's a story of Bonnie Prince Charles's "loose change" that I followed up on many years ago:

In 1746, the 'Hazard', a French war sloop carrying money to Prince Charles Edward, was run ashore at Melness (NC58 60) to escape capture by pursuing cruisers. The crew, in trying to make their way south overland with their treasure, were intercepted by the MacKays at Loch Hacon. The Frenchmen, seeing there was no chance of escape, threw the greater part of the money into the loch. Several of the country people found some of it afterwards, and an odd coin has sometimes been found since.

Source: http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/se...RCAHMS&id=5348
Don........PS: Yes, those MacKay's were 'my' MacKays, though, unfortunately, I inherited none of that loot.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from San Jose, CA!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: United Kingdom for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.

OP
OP
D

Don1

Jul 31, 2020
Derbyshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mackaydon,
Yes, March 1746, I think it was Captain George Mackay (of Skibo) that spearheaded the assault; if memory serves he was the son of the clan chief! If I remember correctly the sum was around 13,000 gold livres, but I seem to recall that Captain Mackay took it and gave it to the British, receiving a substantial reward, as did most of his men for their trouble. I have focused my research on the second installment, but most of that can be accounted for; that said, the bit that can't is quite substantial in today's money and the historical value would be considerable. Of course, I could say that I'm only interested in the historical value myself, but you seem far too intelligent to swallow that! We don't have a bad system in the UK and, in general, ensures that everyone gets something out of it.
I've noticed that you've written 'MacKay' as opposed to 'Mackay'! It's a while ago now but I can't remember seeing the name written that way.
In any event, thank you very much for the reply and if I turn up anything I'll be sure to let you know; it's always a pleasure talking to someone with a similar interest.... Money! :laughing7:

OP
OP
D

Don1

Jul 31, 2020
Derbyshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone that's welcomed me! I'm expecting big things! Well, that's not strictly true; I'm expecting little, flattish, shiny yellow round things really, in a sort of 'clump'.
I can't remember who said, "The quickest way to a small fortune is to start off with a large fortune and go treasure hunting." but it sounds a lot like something I'd come out with after a bad day. :icon_scratch:
Thanks again everyone. :icon_thumright:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI,,,,,Tommy

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don 1
I became very interested in BPC's treasures ever since seeing on an Ordnace Survey map the notation that a Spanish gold coin had been found near Tongue on the edge of Lochan Hakel in 1840. When I got there, I MD-ed and found an abundance of modern coins and fishing gear, but not one Spanish gold coin. Just south of that lake is the battlefield of Druim na Coibe (A.D. 1429). That area would be fun to search if I ever get back there; especially since the MacKay's beat the Sutherlands in that conflict.
Don.....

OP
OP
D

Don1

Jul 31, 2020
Derbyshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Don,
It's all very interesting, not to mention time consuming! I've spent quite a lot of time in Scotland teaching diving, hence my underwater exploits; it's crawling with stuff both above and below the waves!
Sorting the stories from the facts is always the hardest part. Like the cave on Ben Alder; I can't find any actual evidence that Cluny's cage was on Ben Alder! The so-called evidence for that is exceptionally thin, but the story is very compelling! The evidence points to a different location that fits exactly with the known facts, and it's not on Ben Alder! There's a group that say they've found the 'cage' on Ben Alder, but as yet all they've come up with is some soot on a rock! In any event, I don't think that there's any treasure at that location, but there should be some good finds. My bet for the Louis d'or stash is the second location, but I wouldn't expect to find anything else there.
We all like to think that we're right, but as an engineer I'm very methodical and things have to fit; there's a timeline in a hand written account (among other things) that makes the location of Cluny's cage on Ben Alder all but impossible.
I'm sure that this one has a long way to go yet, it's a shame that you're not closer, we could perhaps join forces.
Take care mate.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
North of the loch I mentioned above, near the towns of Bettyhill-Farr, there once was a health resport next to a small loch. The custom was to toss a coin into the loch as good luck and/or good health. The resort is gone, but I'll bet noone has ventured into this small loch looking for 100+ year old coins of the day. I was there (more precisely, on the other side of a a barbed wire fence from that loch) and didn't have the nerve (only because my wife was with me) to go over the fence and take a dip. If you get into that area, I'll dig out my files and give you the loch's location.
All the best,
Don....

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from Texas USA :wave:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard from Northern Virginia :skullflag:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread