New member looking for a recommendation

zacman

Dec 3, 2005
I located this site after deciding that I wanted a metal detector but not knowing anything yet about them. My uses will be limited. I live on 90 acres of rolling foothill property. I hike it frequently. Indians and settlers have been here. Thought it would help increase interest when hiking to have a metal detector along. This will not be likely used elsewhere and limited use here. Any recommendations? Thinking about the $250 range. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
in your price range the Garrett Ace 250 cant be beaten. its a great machine for the money.it beats the pants off of the competitors machines in that price range.

OP
OP
Z

zacman

Dec 3, 2005
Thanks - I will check that out - Any best places to buy on-line? Also should have mentioned, there is a seasonal stream on the property that gets a lot of wash down from the mountains after snows. Thought I might look for nuggets in some of that as well. Appreciate your help.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i dont know if i would recommend the ace for prospecting. it has a set ground balance that could give you some trouble in heavily minerilized soil. i dont know of a good prospecting machine in that range. maybe someone else can help. as far as good online stores,try reilleys treasured gold, rtgstore.com

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can go the money, I'd go with the Tesoro Cibola. You can find these used sometimes on the forum and ebay for about $250 or so. Contact someone selling one and make them a cash offer of $250 postpaid.

New there's about $340 postpaid.

Tesoros really hold their value so you could buy a used one and probably get all your money back a year later.

OP
OP
Z

zacman

Dec 3, 2005
Thanks to all who responded. I think I will go with the ACE 250. I see a Pro version which advises that it comes with a new 6.5 x 9 coil for about $199. It appears that some of these offers include extras. I will check around to see what else might be included so I can compare the prices with the extras included.

OP
OP
Z

zacman

Dec 3, 2005
While searching I see that I can get the ACE 250 Pro with a 9 x12 coil for $274. Is it worth the bump up from $199 to get the larger coil? I am a total novice and know nothing yet about detectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread