new member, mystery trinket

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
This is my first post. i've been enjoying this site for about a year, so much so that i had to strictly limit myself- I was addicted! In about a year and a half's worth of detecting I've found a few interesting items, a shoe buckle (i believe) that i subsequenty lost, an Indian head penny (1903), and a button i was able to date between 1790 and 1820. But the item in my post today i am so excited about! I found it in a field near where my husband's grandfather was born. Noone has lived there for 75 years or so but the history of this area dates back to post Civil war. near the item posted today was found the 1903 indianhead. I was actually on my way to the old foundation, just swinging as i was getting there, when i got a signal in the upper 70's. I was shocked to see this about 3-4 inches down- it was shiny in the front just as it is in the picture. there is still some dirt in the grooves, i was afraid to clean it too vigorously. i may take it to a jeweler to see if it can be cleaned and get an opinion on what it may be- locket, pin, button, etc. thanks for looking!

Attachments

• blue back.JPG
    blue back.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 710
  • sfhdf.JPG
    sfhdf.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 710
Upvote 0

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome on board mate. :thumbsup:
Nice find.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.....Nice find. There's alot of detail on that. Congrats. :thumbsup: Hogge

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the portrait appear to be engraved? I found a as yet unidentified button(?), with a slightly similar etching/engraving. Would love to hear what you find about your item. Way cool find,
CurbdiggerCarl

Attachments

• 3-Color#2.jpg
    3-Color#2.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 584

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Welcome to TreasureNet. You lurked too long.lol
Super nice find. :thumbsup:
Tn Joe

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
Oh, oh, my memory is slipping back into gear. Seems to me the birds represent the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano. Could this item be a souvenir from a trip to see the swallows returning to the mission on March 19 of each year? :dontknow:

http://www.sanjuancapistrano.net/swallows/

Not a swallows nest:
http://www.unm.edu/~vscience/images/Barn-Swallow-Nest-(14).jpg

I would agree that its a souvenir but not from the USA. Somewhere in mainland Europe, like Southern Germany (guess)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever it is it's bloody nice....you have done a good job on cleaning it :thumbsup: welcome to T.Net TK. :icon_sunny:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are doing well and have made some interesting finds already. The item looks like it was a stick pin, the buildings look to be early 1800s. In case you haven't done the research, find the sunny side of the house where a clothes line would have been. The outhouse, may have been a few holes, dig them out. The water source. Try to figure where a trash pit could have been. Interesting site you have, keep us informed on what you find. HH, Mike

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are doing well and have made some interesting finds already. The item looks like it was a stick pin, the buildings look to be early 1800s. In case you haven't done the research, find the sunny side of the house where a clothes line would have been. The outhouse, may have been a few holes, dig them out. The water source. Try to figure where a trash pit could have been. Interesting site you have, keep us informed on what you find. HH, Mike

Thanks for the advice! Actually i think i have found the clothesline area- that is where the IH pen, was, also 3 wheaties were right around a rather small area. Come to think of it, it is the only sunny side of the house-the other 3 sides are woods. My grandmother-in-law remembers where the outhouse was- my gradfather-in-law tore it down years ago. the water source still is visible, the rough foundation around the old springhouse. i have given up hunting around there for awhile, there is so much trash!! I have also found the old "dump," i guess the more modern trash site, but haven't gone through it. it looks very likely for snakes- so i have to go when its cold. thanks again for all your good tips. hopefully i'll have some more good reports in the future.

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
TreasureTales said:
Oh, oh, my memory is slipping back into gear. Seems to me the birds represent the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano. Could this item be a souvenir from a trip to see the swallows returning to the mission on March 19 of each year? :dontknow:

thanks so much for the idea! this is what i was hoping for- thoughts on what it may be. I never thought souvenir. i'll try to check this theory out more in depth! appreciate your input!

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
CRUSADER said:
TreasureTales said:

Not a swallows nest:
http://www.unm.edu/~vscience/images/Barn-Swallow-Nest-(14).jpg

I would agree that its a souvenir but not from the USA. Somewhere in mainland Europe, like Southern Germany (guess)
as i told treasuretales, i greatly appreciate your input. i was really hoping to get some ideas as to what type of item this is, and you great tnet people came thru! the Germany thought is plausible since the family that lived there was of German descent. thanks again!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. I cannot help you ID you find, but it is a nice one.

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
curbdiggercarl57 said:
Does the portrait appear to be engraved? I found a as yet unidentified button(?), with a slightly similar etching/engraving. Would love to hear what you find about your item. Way cool find,
CurbdiggerCarl
wow! that was so neat for you to put the picture of your button on! thanks! no, the item i found is not engraved, rather, the picture is embossed? (i'm not sure if that is the appropriate way to describe it- the picture is raised, not recessed) . my mother thought that it was perhaps a "perfect attendance" pin for Sunday School, but I googled "reward pin" and found nothing even close

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the form after lurking for a year and so when are you going to become charter ;D

Super great find cant wait to see what it turns out to be for sure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread