New member needs help with GC-1036

wlester67

Sep 21, 2013
Chanhassen, MN
Detector(s) used
GC-1036
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I bought this last year, thinking that I would be using it every day. I never got around to using it last year, and of course, when I wanted to use it this year, there is no owners manual to be found. I seem to be able to find every manual for every metal detector out there, except for this one. I can buy one on eBay for $6, but no way will I do that.

Super basic questions I think.

IMG_1420.jpg

There are 3 knobs: Volume, Tune, and Disc. I know that I am supposed to get the sensitivity dial on zero, but in doing so, I have the constant buzzing. If I lower the volume, then I only have the needle to alert me if I have a hit. Am I supposed to be able to tune this so that the volume can be turned up so that it will only make a noise when I pass the coil over metal? I am hard of hearing and having it loud all of the time so I can hear it is not possible.

Then there is the red button on the handle. Not sure what that is used for.

I'm know this is a cheap model. That's why I bought it. If I can figure out how to use it effectively and actually find some coins, jewelry, etc..., then I can justify buying a better one. But first, I have to figure out how to work this thing!

OP
OP
W

wlester67

Sep 21, 2013
Chanhassen, MN
Detector(s) used
GC-1036
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there is no name anywhere on it, just the model number, so I am assuming that it is a Gold Digger GC-1036. I have been searching forever on the web, but nobody has or wants to share the owners manual.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I am really good at finding stuff online, and I cannot seem to find a digital manual for it either, found the maker though, maybe they can send you a manual.
Mike

Shanghai 21st Century Electronic Equipment Co. Ltd
No. 37, Lane 963, Baoqian Rd.
Huating Town, Jiading District
Shanghai
Shanghai
China 200063
Tel: (86 21) 6216 7177
Fax: (86 21) 6216 7677
Shanghai 21st Century Electronic Equipment Co. Ltd

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Then there is the red button on the handle. Not sure what that is used for.

the red-button would no doubt be for the pinpoint (all-metal) button.

If I were you, I'd try playing with all the controls, in air tests, to see which settings produce results. Try a variety of objects in air-tests: nails, coins, pulltab, foil wads, etc.... Then you can expect that those type objects might be the type results you'd encounter out in the field.

And yes, it's an absolute toy. If you have even $100, you'd be much better off with a visit to ebay. JMHO.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try this and see if this works. Go outside. Turn on the machine and while holding the coil out in the air. In this position hold the red button down and turn the tune knob from zero up till you (hopefully) start to hear a hum. That will be where your tune setting should be.

The disc knob will have to be played with.... set out some things on the ground starting with a nickel and a gold ring.... them a pull tab.... then a penny.... then a dime ... then a quarter all in a line a few feet apart. As you turn up the dial testing this line of items take notice at what point the nickel and gold ring and pull tab no longer give you a sound. This will help you set your discrimination where you want it in the field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread