New member - Unknown Artifact

magundus

Mar 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. Thought I would go ahead and introduce myself since this is my first post to the forum:thumbsup:

This piece was found along the Scioto River here in Ohio. It measures approximately 2.5" long and 1/2" wide. It is made from some sort of stone material. There is hole located at 3/4 of the way up the shaft and comes though the other side at a 45 degree angle(the hole does not extend the length of the shaft so I do not believe it to be a pipe). Above the hole located only on one side is a groove that's approximately pencil width.

As you can see from the photos the piece is broken.:BangHead:

I hope I have provided enough information and hope that someone knows what this might have been. Thanks in advance.

1911984_10152310733141940_565684016_n.jpg 10006539_10152310733001940_1142239712_n.jpg

Upvote 2

deodra

Mar 13, 2014
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
They were stolen
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. You got me on this one. I hope one of the other, more skilled, folks on TN will be able to help you out.

Welcome aboard!

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost looks like a bone sword handle. Do you know how to test for bone?

OP
OP
M

magundus

Mar 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost looks like a bone sword handle. Do you know how to test for bone?

I have never tested for bone. I was 90% sure it was made of stone so never even thought of that. I'm guessing it would be too small to be a sword handle but it does resemble the shape of one. Trying to figure out what the hole and groove has to do with the piece. My only guess is that it may have been used for fishing or tying some kind of line or thread.

OP
OP
M

magundus

Mar 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. You got me on this one. I hope one of the other, more skilled, folks on TN will be able to help you out.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks. It's driving me crazy not to know. I've Done a lot of research but still have no idea. I'm sure it's an artifact of sort but I've yet to see an example like it.

Un-shore

Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Native American fishing lure. The 45 holds a sharp bone as a barb. Just a semi-educated guess.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net! That's an awesome find! Looks really old!
You can also post it on the "what's it" forum farther down the forum list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread