New member with questions on first machine

N7XW

Feb 9, 2014
Western WA
Detector(s) used
ctx, atp, tejon, omega, etp, f2, compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully this is the correct location to post this. Apologies if not.

I am new to the hobby, have only gotten into it a few days ago and have been spending every waking minute researching detectors. For no particular reason, I am leaning toward the Fisher line.

I see the main difference between the F4 and F5 is that the F5 has frequency shift and phase lock whereas the F4 has neither (assuming the same 11" DD coil). My question is: how useful are these two features? Do they make a big difference or are they just another 'nice feature to have'. I do plan to hunt the ocean beach but will also spend time in parks and other areas where soils will vary between silt, sand, clay and gravel. I have pretty much narrowed it down to these machines but would like to know of any other recommendations in a similar price range.

I also don't know how much I really want to invest as I have never used a detector before but do foresee my family and I loving the hobby.

Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed, but, as with the F4 and F5, the AT Pro is not a great salt water machine.

Well I've never taken the ATP to the beach since I don't own one, and I would agree that the F5 is not "great" at the beach..... but it is useable and stable- albeit not the deepest MD when exposed to salt. I didn't feel like I got down as deep with it as on dry land, but I had fun with it at the beach though?!?!

OP
OP
N

N7XW

Feb 9, 2014
Western WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again guys. Still thinking...

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep in mind that if you really wanted to do some hunting in the rain or water you might have to buy other waterproof equipment such as headphones or a waterproof pinpointer.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep in mind that if you really wanted to do some hunting in the rain or water you might have to buy other waterproof equipment such as headphones or a waterproof pinpointer.

Good point to consider, but a whole lot of people will say its worth it! I think the whole thing with the proprietary plugs is kinda greedy of Garrett, but again most people say it dose not bother them and they make an adapter to run whatever headset you want.

Most ATP owners deal with these things just fine so I'm sure he can too, it will only cost a little more- not a terrible thing to have a good solid piece of equipment IMO?!?!

OP
OP
N

N7XW

Feb 9, 2014
Western WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if I've ever contemplated this much about a new hobby purchase :dontknow:

I usually just dive right in. This time I'm taking my time to learn as much as I can first. Maybe it will payoff in finding more :treasurechest:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I'm now changing gears again and thinking about the Garrett AT Pro, mainly because it is waterproof. With all the rain we get here and wanting to hunt the beaches, this is a definite plus. Anybody want to chime in on the F5 compared to the AT Pro? I haven't found a lot of info on the subject.

I've read they perform similarly, as long as you get the 11" DD for the F5 package. But adding in the waterproof feature of the AT Pro, to me, sets it far above the F5. It is very nice to have that sense of security that your circuit board is not going to get fried due to a splash of water. The AT Pro seems to get a lot of hate, either because of its early production instability, fanboyism, or simply because it has been used on the show "Diggers". I find my AT Pro to be very reliable, and goes pretty deep in this Michigan soil. Obviously it doesn't compare to my E-Trac, but it has its place in my arsenal.

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Consider COIL OPTIONS. Pearsonally I LOVE the small coils.They are good in areas where there is alot of junk and there is alot of junk just about everywhere. Once you acctually get out there you will realize the surface of this planet is compleetly littered with metal trash. Small coils allow you to "see" one target at a time and actually recover it quickly without a bunch of digging arround. I too thought I wanted the huge 11" dd to get down deeper than the last guy but soon relizsd the great advantage of target seperation and quick recovery with the 5". For me, it is hard to find a spot that is clean enough to swing that dinner plate. Some places are really cleaned out even at depth, but with some skill the small coils can get up close to the fence, swing post, or other metal objects that have been protecting treasure from the big guys. There are many styles of hunting and you don't know whats going to be best for you until you expeirence it. My advice is to get a machine with COIL OPTIONS and don't get stuck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've never taken the ATP to the beach since I don't own one, and I would agree that the F5 is not "great" at the beach..... but it is useable and stable- albeit not the deepest MD when exposed to salt. I didn't feel like I got down as deep with it as on dry land, but I had fun with it at the beach though?!?!
The key to beach hunting is to have a machine that is stable while getting excellent depth and coverage. You can get bigger coils for most machines, so that will give you coverage, but to get an F4, F5, or At Pro stable is to give up depth. That's not a sacrifice I'm willing to make as the competition is pretty steep at most beaches. Otherwise, all those machines are fine choices for land hunting in their price range. If I had to chose between those 3 only, it would be the AT Pro.

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consider COIL OPTIONS. Pearsonally I LOVE the small coils.They are good in areas where there is alot of junk and there is alot of junk just about everywhere. Once you acctually get out there you will realize the surface of this planet is compleetly littered with metal trash. Small coils allow you to "see" one target at a time and actually recover it quickly without a bunch of digging arround. I too thought I wanted the huge 11" dd to get down deeper than the last guy but soon relizsd the great advantage of target seperation and quick recovery with the 5". For me, it is hard to find a spot that is clean enough to swing that dinner plate. Some places are really cleaned out even at depth, but with some skill the small coils can get up close to the fence, swing post, or other metal objects that have been protecting treasure from the big guys. There are many styles of hunting and you don't know whats going to be best for you until you expeirence it. My advice is to get a machine with COIL OPTIONS and don't get stuck.

This has me curious, as I am saving for a AT pro. Do they have coil options?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a good machine, really is, my advice is when you get it definetly get the 5x8 coil it will make a World of difference, id say its a great first machine having the tone audio, iron audio to help you along the way you'll be pulling out great items in no time

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The key to beach hunting is to have a machine that is stable while getting excellent depth and coverage. You can get bigger coils for most machines, so that will give you coverage, but to get an F4, F5, or At Pro stable is to give up depth. That's not a sacrifice I'm willing to make as the competition is pretty steep at most beaches. Otherwise, all those machines are fine choices for land hunting in their price range. If I had to chose between those 3 only, it would be the AT Pro.

Yeah, basically what I said- if he knows he's gonna get wet a lot or be doing a lot of water MDing he should go ATP.

I think that NO MD IS PERFECT- there's always gonna be sacrifices no matter what he picks.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yeah, I'd say stable with good depth and coverage is the key to hunting anywhere.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm not going to plug a manuf. but the American made products are always a good choice. White, Fisher, Tesoro, AT Pro, etc. Also ask some of the guys in your area about the mineralization in the areas or around where you will hunt. It makes some difference in some machines. Good luck.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You do, I just receiver the 5X8 coil today. The Pro comes with the 8X11 DD. I like to hunt parks and old schools and the 5X8 has gotten great reviews. I've got the sniper(4") coil on my F75 limited and it is great. So yes you have options on most machines out there. Good luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'd say stable with good depth and coverage is the key to hunting anywhere.
Stability, yes.....but coverage and depth usually aren't as important in most land searches. A huge field, sure, you need the coverage. A real old site or one that has deep targets, sure, you need the depth.....but most sites I've hunted, the targets are less than 8" deep. Most decent detectors and coils will find those. Hunting a trashy park, home site, or parking strip doesn't need a big coil, in fact, a smaller coil is better for those sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread