tahrrington1

Jan 5, 2014
bakersfield, california
Detector(s) used
whites mxt tracker e series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hello, my name is tom, im a new member as of today. I just bought my first detector, a whites mxt tracker e series. Im new to metal detecting, live in kern county, bakersfield,calif. Im looking for some places in the kern county area to start my new hobby, some local clubs , people to go detecting with to learn the basics and have fun. Ive got a few books on the way to do some reading, but ready to do some hands on stuff asap. Any advice and tips would be appreciated
thank you
tom

Upvote 0

dbach149

Aug 4, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Welcome... First things first, learn your machine, You'll have a much more enjoyable time. Have fun.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I agree 100% with the above post. Also a big big think you need to remember to enjoy this hobby. You can only find what is already lost or in the ground. That's key because sometimes in this hobby you can get frustrated and say "why cannt I find anything" while your learning it a good idea to go somewhere that you know will probably have a bunch of coins but not actually old like a ball field. Don't take your detector out for the first time to some remote field and hope for something really old.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome and welcome! This is a great hobby! Never know what you will find and it will surprise you!
Patience is the key take the time to really learn how your detector sounds off to different stuff. That way you know what it is telling you. Like close partners, a team.
Make a test garden, if it helps you. 5X5 ft. Patch of ground clear of metal you can either lay coins and assorted metals pull tabs, can slaw ( any T Net member will loan you some) and other metals,run your detector over it make mental note of sound and meter reading if you have one. Practice, practice, practice = finds!
Most of all ENJOY it!

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Like beepbeep said about the assorted metals. What I did that worked out pretty well was I took a gallon Zip lock and set it aside and would just put one of everything I came buy in the bag and do what she said. Pull tab, foil lid, an old key, each time I have across something I put one in the bag. That helped me a ton

Markomyt1

Dec 1, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom III
AT PRO Woot!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome

Welcome to TNet from Cheyenne, Wyoming!

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
Welcome!! Read your owners manual. Take your time go slow. Start in your own yard. Then find some tot lots you can learn a lot at them. Good luck happy hunting and don't get discouraged.

GOD BLESS!!!

dbach149

Aug 4, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Yes... Forgot about that. Start in your own yard and work on digging good plugs. I just started in this hobby last year. Here is what my yard produced. Some of the clad is from my beach vacation. Still think there's more in my yard to be found.

Attachments

• image-3495906743.jpg
    image-3495906743.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3533665683.jpg
    image-3533665683.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 75

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to tell you to practice digging and filling holes so that you can't tell you have dug there! Very important .
Practice in your yard first. If you need help just ask any one of us would be happy to help you. HH!

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I agree with everyone - Learn your machine! Read everything that you can ..... Blogs, magazines, books etc. Check YouTube. Don't be afraid to call Whites if you have any questions. They have a great staff that will more than happy to help you. Most of all HAVE FUN! Welcome to the greatest hobby in the world !

gublube

Dec 13, 2010
welcome uncle tom. you will find many helpful answers to many questions in past posts. although it says im a new member im really not. just been awhile, there are days of reading in all topics and gd posts of all sorts. read up. im very familiar with this detector and cant wait to help u understand It better. seeyou soon. happy hunting

john

mineralized_miner

Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, and I hope you have fun with your new :metaldetector:, but make sure learning how to use it is a top priority because high-end White's detectors have a reputation for being hard to master!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread