63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Diesel.k! So are we talking about Porterville below Fresno?

Sounds to me like you are on the right thread with the sluice and hand dredge, I am not familiar with using the DFX for prospecting. Come to think of it I would appreciate a look see at a "Hand Dredge". There is a tremendous amount of knowledge on TNET though one will need to dig for it in some of the historical files, but quite likely the answer to your questions have been given or just ask again if your searching will not come up with an answer you feel is right for your situation.

How about a description of the type of places you have worked and where you've hauled your equipment into. Again, welcome and enjoy!.............63bkpkr

190_9026.JPG Moving Gravel!

190_9081_r1.jpg Historical Workings 190_9085.JPG Signs!

196_9610.JPG Raw Campsite 196_9620.JPG Down River next morning

162_6257.JPG Old Towns = Holes in the Forest

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diesel.k

Diesel.k

Mar 9, 2018
Porterville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi nice to meet you!

Yes sir, Porterville about 60 mile south of Fresno. I have been hitting the Kern river quite a bit. In the past week I have acquired a good foldable sluice for some back country exploration. Me and a friend of mine plan on doing some hiking in the sierras once the weather permits. Before all that happens I have a trip planned to California City/Randsburg next weekend.

I’m more than happy to post some pics of my hand dredge, it’s at the shop but I’m headed over there a little later. So I take it you are from California as well?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Diesel.k, let's say that I've been in California several times, I'm currently in the San Diego area, I've lived on the SF Peninsula a few years, I've backpacked the NorCal Sierras for over 50 years and I've just hardly scratched the surface of places to go, sights to see and things to do. I've climbed avalanche chutes that led me to discovering a box canyon with a 200' waterfall at the back end of it, I've also accessed the back country via the same type of route to find a 500' waterfall, I've met quite a few bears several of which have chosen to destroy my camps, I've found gold (just enough to keep me coming back but then I'd come back just because I enjoy the place) and I've shared this place with my three children so I've all sorts of wonderful memories of the Mountains & River Canyon.

180_8056.JPG Look above My left shoulder 180_8054.JPG This is the 500' falls you should see above my left shoulder

PICT1053.JPG My son and I but my two daughters love the place as well!

PICT0265.JPG Winter camping as well as cross country skiing with a backpack for overnight trips.

175_7501 over the edge.JPG This is NOT for everyone!

187_8754_r1.jpg There are some unusual things out there

PICT0004.JPG Some trips are almost nothing but goofing around, almost!

PICT0020.JPG

183_8326.JPG The simple life 182_8294.JPG The "Good Stuff"

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard from CT!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Diesel.k

Diesel.k

Mar 9, 2018
Porterville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone :)
Your photos are awesome 63bkpkr! That waterfall is something to behold, I can’t imagine how cool it was in person. I hope to make some great memories too.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome Diesel.k
I also mine on the kern as I have a place in Bodfish CA.
Lot's of great info on this site and most are willing to help.
Do you Drywash? you must as your going to Randsburg --- might rain there this weekend.
Glad to have you aboard.
Mike

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildminer, That campfire took a lot of work and thinking to make it useful in late Sept to early October and you are correct it reflected the heat right back at me. Check out the background of that picture, notice the colored buckets. They are on the other side of the river where I was pulling gold out of the river bed..............63bkpkr

diesel.k, yes that water fall is amazing to see in person. During that same trip I was at the entrance of the output canyon for the 500' falls, it was spooky and way rugged. I wanted to go into it but I did not feel right about the venture, maybe next time. On the other side of the canyon from that falls is another creek that comes in and then swings around and meets up with the the 500' falls stream. It is another one of those places where I just want to keep going to see what is there.

180_8078.JPG Here's the creek as it dumps into a pool and then exits the pool. I'd rappel down this cliff and just keep going. You will make your special memories as you keep going 'out there', exercise to keep yourself strong and healthy, be as safe as you can but there will be those special spots that require stretching one's abilities, Do NOT strain your joints/muscles by prying big rocks up with short leverage bars as you can destroy your body that way even when you are good and strong!
Enjoy yourself!...........63bkpkr

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diesel.k

Diesel.k

Mar 9, 2018
Porterville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m trying to build my own dry washer. I had made a nice sluice, but it is just to heavy to carry around, so I spent a little $ getting one. I’m learning fast that if you’re not careful you will spend more money on equipment than can be easily recouped. Lol.

Hey mike, the people in Bodfish treated me great. That is where I was prospecting 2 weeks ago. Can’t wait to go back.

Just finished the toy hauler, so it looks like Randsburg is on for next weekend!! Any advice for prospecting out there?

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I have built a few Drywashers. Here is a link to check out
Gold Prospecting and Nugget Hunting is what We do!
I used this as a guideline and improvised with things I had laying around.
Here's a pic of mine
dirtpile.jpg
As for Randsburg its a neat little town to visit -- I ran a Drywasher in Benson canyon
a few years back and got some nice pickers , there are claims there so check
land matters first.

OP
OP
Diesel.k

Diesel.k

Mar 9, 2018
Porterville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks great. Thanks for the link. Sorry for the delay In Response. My nephew broke his face on a golf club and so I have been taking care of him.

OP
OP
Diesel.k

Diesel.k

Mar 9, 2018
Porterville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t wait to build it :)

OP
OP
Diesel.k

Diesel.k

Mar 9, 2018
Porterville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Spectrum 950
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah him and a friend were hitting golf balls and he stepped in at the wrong time. He had surgery on his skull and his jaw wired shut. I’ve been teasing him a little to keep it light but damn I feel for him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread