New Metal Detector Help

D

Diggerbryan

Hello, I have a question and I'm hoping I can get some help. I'm thinking about purchasing a Minelab X-terra 30. I've looked into all the details about them and etc. The only thing I'm worried about is the volume. I have severe hearing loss and I'm afraid I won't be able to hear the beep. I noticed the X-terra 50 has a volume of 1-20 vs. the X-terra 30 which has a volume level of 1-10. Do you think I should invest in the 50 with the louder volume or do you think I will be okay? I used a Garrett freedom ace a while back and I could hear it just fine. Any input about my scenerio or the detector would be great. Thanks!

Upvote 0

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
I don't know the detectors of which you speak but I really doubt that the numbers on the dial have anything to do with the maximum volume. Regardless, Good headphones with adjustable volume are a tremendous asset for successful detecting to people with normal hearing, and in your case I would say essential. A "beep" from a detector can have many subtleties that can mean different things. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to our great hobby!

OP
OP
D

Diggerbryan

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know they made headphones with adjustable volume. I am totally new to this hobby. Do you recommend a particular brand? Any idea where I could get them? Thanks again!

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Diggerbryan said:
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know they made headphones with adjustable volume. I am totally new to this hobby. Do you recommend a particular brand? Any idea where I could get them? Thanks again!

Killer B's, Jolly Rogers, Black Widows. Check out a few on line detector sales sites. There are several to choose from.

OP
OP
D

Diggerbryan

Thanks! I will definitely look into them.

da Hobo

May 6, 2005
Northern Illinois
Bryan, Radio Shack makes a couple decent, lightweight, cool headphones that have adjustable volume. Give them a try and take your detector with you and test them right in the store. Also, you don't have to pay big $$ for a decent set . . . . shop around but test them if you can. My first ones cost me $45 and were okay . . . my second ones cost me $16 and are lighter to wear, cooler in the summer and just as good to my way of thinking. But as I said, in your case, try to shop them were you can test them.

Hobo

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
Don't forget Grey Ghost, and SunRay. I'm in the market for an upgrade,and it looks like it'll be Killer Bee's for mees.

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
With hearing loss ive always thought of this. A visual screen detector would be alot better then a beeping one.

garrettfan2

Jul 24, 2006
dallas ft worth
all excellent advice. i recently got new headphones with my new detector. the old ones have a curly, stretching cord. the new ones have a much longer sraight cord. it gets in the way so i run it down the inside front of my shirt. they are smaller and lightweight and i like that better. one more piece of advice: if you can support a local detector shop instead of online, help keep Americans working. have much fun. garrettfan2 in tx

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a high frequency hearing loss in one ear and sometimes have a problem hearing the subtle difference in various tones. I have had other detectorists tell me that a certain sound is slightly different than another but to me they sound the same. I have a pair of Garrett headphones that came with my detector and they have adjustable sound independantly in both ears. That way I can crank the sound up in my almost deaf ear and crank it down in my good ear. I am not pushing Garrett products, rather advising that you will need stereo headphones with dual volume control no matter what brand you select. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread