New Metal Detector

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for a non-expensive metal detector for kids or a junior one.(i am a beginner)
This is going to be my first metal detector and i want a good metal detector that cost less than 50 dollars.

The metal detector i am looking forward to buying is this one

Amazon.com: Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Please let me now about any reliable metal detector before august 12.

After that reply with other good buys:thumb_up::thumb_up::thumb_up:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
In the $50-75 range, for metal detectors that actually work worth a darn, there are only two choices: the BH Junior (and several private label units which are the same thing), and the BH VLF, which is electrically virtually identical but in a more adult-size mechanical package.

Ya gotta understand that although these are "real" metal detectors, they aren't going to have the performance of $200 and up machines. They do work well enough for tot lot & public park type detecting to find out if you like the hobby, and their second derivative discriminator design is sufficiently like that of most high end machines that the skills you learn on a VLF or Junior stand you in good stead if you like the hobby and decide to spend some serious money on it.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
N
Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may get that one when the metal detector i will soon buy breaks down.
TA (THANKS ANYWAY)
to terry soloman

OP
OP
N
Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the vlf is good and better than the other one, i am looking for a beginners one, maybe that will be the good buy.
I dont want a super expensive high quality metal detector that finds and finds and finds.
I want to get used to the hobby,and what if i decide not to do it, a 200 dollar one is out of my price range.
i will still think about it anyway

to davej

doc801

Dec 5, 2012
EAST RIDGE, TN
Detector(s) used
GARRET ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER PIONEER 202
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I started my wife got me a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 230 from Walmart. It has done me well and still use it for pin pointing a find t minimize ground damage. She paid more than $50.00 but did not break the bank. I used iot for 2 years before upgrading to a Garret Ace 250. Today if helped me find a Confederate bomb fragment. It does well and do the job till you can upgrade to a bigger machine. Keep digging! Doc:laughing7:

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You can get a working metal detector from Harbor Freight (a low-cost tool warehouse) that works fine but will probably have very limited discrimination ability. I'm told HF's detectors run under $50.

If I was you I'd go a step up and get a beginner's Bounty Hunter for about $125, at least that will have some sort of notch discrimination so you're not digging EVERY pull tab and screw cap and can slaw there is to be found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread