New MXT

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
I just sold my Goldmaster/Vsat on ebay and purchased a new MXT from Kellyco. They will send me a coupon that entitles me to buy another coil from White's, a headphone, and a pin pointer for an additional $99. My question is this: Since there are only a number of coils offered with this package, I think that the new 10 inch DD coil is a good choice as well as the 12 inch DD coil. There are also 2 oval coils that are smaller. What coil, out of these choices would be good for the MXT. I will be doing nugget shooting this summer in NV......thanks guys and gals......Jim PS: You can go to the White's website to see the deal and the coils offered.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I had an MXT I had the Eclipse 6x10, EX 6"(I think), Super 12 and the 8" EX. I know it's only 2" but I would have liked the 10" over the 12". The Super 12, too me really unbalanced the machine. However, the 6x10 was just a coin magnet. Never used the 8" much.

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
johnnycat said:
When I had an MXT I had the Eclipse 6x10, EX 6"(I think), Super 12 and the 8" EX. I know it's only 2" but I would have liked the 10" over the 12". The Super 12, too me really unbalanced the machine. However, the 6x10 was just a coin magnet. Never used the 8" much.

I was thinking and leaning more to that new 10 inch DD coil too...Thank you.....jim

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I have heard good reports on the new 10" round DD coil, however it is open and may hinder you while nugget hunting rough or rocky areas. They may come out with a full coil cover that would eliminate the problem. The 6X10 DD is oval and closed so you won't get snagged while swinging and can get into smaller places up close, also the 4X6 DD is incredible for getting into crevices and tight spots and is considered a great gold getter in rough spots.

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tin Nugget said:
I have heard good reports on the new 10" round DD coil, however it is open and may hinder you while nugget hunting rough or rocky areas. They may come out with a full coil cover that would eliminate the problem. The 6X10 DD is oval and closed so you won't get snagged while swinging and can get into smaller places up close, also the 4X6 DD is incredible for getting into crevices and tight spots and is considered a great gold getter in rough spots.

That was one of my concerns too. As yet, no coil cover. Because of this intro deal, I was thinking go for the 10'' d2 at $250 and later get 4x6. The deal is headphones, pinpointer and one of 4 coils. The 2 eleptical coils are less than half the price of the 10'' D2 but I would like the 6x10 or 4x6 for gold detecting in broken ground like NV.....Thank you...jim

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
The more I play with the new MXT, the more impressed I am with it. One can differentiate between pulltabs and nickles and this is unheard of in most machines because of the closeness of the VDI. Even in the relic mode,
there are different programs that are easy to operate to cancel out iron if one wants to but more importantly, if there is a target next to an iron object you will hear the target over the iron object. There are 2
tones. The target (other than iron) has a high pitch and the iron a low pitch. Gold targets (rings, jewelry) has near the same VDI as a nickle so if one can pick up a nickle and cancel hearing pull tabs the chances
of giving up digging so many pull tabs becomes less of a problem. I am only able to do air tests now with it because of about 3 feet of snow on the ground but I am amazed at the ease of this machine and the accuracy!

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New DD would be my choice. Remember small ladys rings will sometimes read the same numbers as some pulltabs.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an MXT user myself , I must compliment you on your selection. Would you elaborate on

your ability to differentiate between nickel and pulltab - are you talking about trigger forward

and the tab gives a broken up sound - whereas the nickel sound remains solid ? Thanks !

Argentium.

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Argentium said:
As an MXT user myself , I must compliment you on your selection. Would you elaborate on

your ability to differentiate between nickel and pulltab - are you talking about trigger forward

and the tab gives a broken up sound - whereas the nickel sound remains solid ? Thanks !

Argentium.

Yes, in both coin and relic mode, turn the gain up until you just hear the nickle. Push the trigger forward and you will not here the pulltab. I beleive the gain setting is at 4. You will see the VDI#. However you might miss a gold ring or some fine jewelry. The nickle comes in at 24 VDI and I believe the pulltab is about 22 VDI. Gold will also come in about there so dig everything in that range or you will miss that expensive gold ring or a gold chain. The MXT is one of a few machines that will detect gold chain. Some of the Minelabs will not see a gold chain and some of the sister White's machines will not too. I really am happy with this machine......It was a great choice!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info thanks ! Yeah ,I think the MXT is a very solid choice especially in light of all the

coil options and the strong gold prospecting mode . Thanks again - Argentium.

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD
For the price of the new 10 DD you can almost get the 6x10 DD and the 4x6 DD. Then you are set up for whatever you want to hunt. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
No choice. The 10"d2 is part of the $99 deal for buying a White's detector at xmas time. The 6x10 is not included in the offer. The 4x6 is but look at the difference in price. What would you choose, a $125 coil or a $250 coil as part of the $99 package?

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Ames Take the 250$ spider Coil. The 12" spider coil works great . I use mine a lot when I'm out in northen AZ. You will be able to cover more ground. Over 50% of the folks I see hunting the desert with MXT's are using the 12" coil.
Extractor

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Thank you for that information. I was thinkint the same thing. Northern NV is highly mineralized as well. Rye Patch had a burn many years ago and the carbon from that burn plays heck with aVLF detector. Like AZ, many have gone to a PI for that reason. I think, with refinement and better testing, that the TDI will rule in the future.

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
The big difference between gold detectors and coin and relic machines is a variable SAT. The nice thing about the MXT is that the dual control is a discrimination control in Coin and Relic modes but in Prospecting mode it becomes a variable SAT. What this means is that when a signal is sent from your coil and hits the target, it then comes back to the coil and registers a target. The speed that this happens (Threshold speed) is controlled by the turn of the SAT (dual control in Prospecting mode). You can speed up the recovery to the point that you can turn it up (cw) to the Super SAT +1 though+3. The faster that you run the SAT speed, the less depth that you will get but you will be able to hunt in bad mineralized ground that other machines cannot do. Can one recover some of the loss of depth caused by turning up the SAT? Yes, to some extent. One can turn the gain up until the ground conditions can cause the loss of a good target (experiment with a test nugget) or one can turn down the SAT somewhat and swing the coil slower. I hope that this helps someone understand the SAT on a MXT better.....jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread