"New" old fairground gives up a little more 1800s silver!!

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
"New" old fairground gives up a little more 1800's silver!!

Hi T'Netters,I didn't find these today as the ground is now frozen.I've just been too busy to post them till now.It rained Monday night and Tuesday was almost 50 deg. so the ground thawed temporarily,I had to try one last time.Went back to the fairground and scoured it with no results.I wandered over to an area just up beside what is now an airstrip.I originally thought it was all back filled but I was very wrong. I took 13 coins in all,6 very corroded wheats,4 corroded IHP's,1 buffalo nickle,an 1894S Barber quarter and an1891S seated liberty dime!!My first and only seated dime this year and in fact only my second seated dime in all my years so I was really psyched!!! I knew there was more original ground there somewhere,YEE HA!!! HH, Bootstrap

Attachments

• MVC-895F.JPG
    MVC-895F.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 868
  • MVC-896F.JPG
    MVC-896F.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 870
  • MVC-897F.JPG
    MVC-897F.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 865
  • MVC-899F.JPG
    MVC-899F.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 864
  • MVC-900F.JPG
    MVC-900F.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 863
  • MVC-901F.JPG
    MVC-901F.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 847
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: "New" old fairground gives up a little more 1800's silver!!

Very coooooool finds ! :D Stay warm in that frozen state!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Bootstrap, if that's your last hunt of the season, I'd say you definitely went out with a Bang!!

Great coins!! I bet you won't be able to wait to get back out there. There's bound to be much more!!

Happy Holidays,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used

Thanks GE and Capt! Hey Capt I think your right there's definitly more there,the problem is the grass was still quite tall and my coil cover is cracked so it kept getting fetched up on the grass.I'm going back in the spring with my riding lawn mower.The guys there are very accomodating so I think they'll let me mow that area flat so I can really grid and scour the area.Too bad your not around here cause I think that SE might punch a little deeper and pull a few goodies that I'm missing.It would be interesting to see if you could really go into an area that I've gridded and scoured and pull up anything.Thanks again, Bootstrap

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2

You did it again, Boot. You must have dowsing rods built into your brain. You don't have any metal plates in your scull, do ya?

I think you ought to chuck that coil cover and head back there NOW. Theres gotta be a little insulation from that tall grass and I'm sure you can manage at least one more hunt before things freeze up tight. If not, its going to be an even longer winter than last year. Besides, without the coil cover you'll get an extra 1/16" of depth!

P.S. Isn't the S mint mark San Francisco? What the heck are those coins doing out there? They ought to be in MY spots!

MP

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Hey Capt I think your right there's definitly more there,the problem is the grass was still quite tall and my coil cover is cracked so it kept getting fetched up on the grass.I'm going back in the spring with my riding lawn mower.The guys there are very accomodating so I think they'll let me mow that area flat so I can really grid and scour the area.Too bad your not around here cause I think that SE might punch a little deeper and pull a few goodies that I'm missing.It would be interesting to see if you could really go into an area that I've gridded and scoured and pull up anything.Thanks again, Bootstrap

Man, I would love to come out there and try that area out. I'm sure I would find something. Heck, I'm still making some good finds in all the areas I've hit countless times before. We can never get it all. Let me know when you mow that area in the spring.....I might be tempted... ;)

Dan
CAPTN SE

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used

Hey Playah,I was thinking the same thing.Why do I get so many S mint marks?I'm not complaining by no means but San Francisco is a loooong way from here and I think I get more of those than plain Philly coins,on my silver at least.You would think some CC's would have made it up here but so far zip-zero-nadda.I do have a few O (orleans mint) coins though,and the CC's may only be a swing away.As for your question about having a metal plate or dowsing rods, no I do not but my old man always claimed I had as much of a mental detector in my head as I did a metal detector in my hand.Thanks again and keep the faith Bro' HH,
Bootstrap

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used

Captn_SE said:
Hey Capt I think your right there's definitly more there,the problem is the grass was still quite tall and my coil cover is cracked so it kept getting fetched up on the grass.I'm going back in the spring with my riding lawn mower.The guys there are very accomodating so I think they'll let me mow that area flat so I can really grid and scour the area.Too bad your not around here cause I think that SE might punch a little deeper and pull a few goodies that I'm missing.It would be interesting to see if you could really go into an area that I've gridded and scoured and pull up anything.Thanks again, Bootstrap

Man, I would love to come out there and try that area out. I'm sure I would find something. Heck, I'm still making some good finds in all the areas I've hit countless times before. We can never get it all. Let me know when you mow that area in the spring.....I might be tempted... ;)
You come right over Capt,It would be a pleasure to hunt with you!!!Besides I love a little friendly competetion and I'm still researching and coming up with some potentially great sites but that'll have to wait till spring. Bootstrap
Dan
CAPTN SE

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300

WTG Bootstrap!! Great way to end the month...Congrats! :D
Hank 8)

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Nice going, Bootstrap!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

Nice coins there BS, I mean Bootstrap of course! ;D :D ;D

I cannot tell you how excited I would be to find a 1800 silver! Good job.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds Vinn----Love the old silver

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Congrats Bootstrp on a last minute before the snow dumps on us hunt and some nice silver !!

Its looking bad up here....lake effect snow-temps down in the teens >:( :'(

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used

xlt nh said:
WTG Bootstrap!! Great way to end the month...Congrats! :D
Hank 8)
Thanks XLT,I really wasn't expecting much but sometimes the most unlikely areas produce goodies you never would have dreamed were there! HH, Bootstrap

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used

mastereagle22 said:
Nice coins there BS, I mean Bootstrap of course! ;D :D ;D

I cannot tell you how excited I would be to find a 1800 silver! Good job.
Thanks Master Eagle,BS?LOL,not a very good abbr but it is kinda funny! I guarantee if you keep at it and everyone else on this site,you too will get some 1800's silver.It could be the next swing of the coil!!The key is to put yourself in the old places.When you least expect it,expect it!!!

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used

plehbah said:
It always makes me so sad to see you not finding anything good Vinn. Would you like me to send you some wheat pennies so you stop going home empty handed?
Thanks Plebah,I always enjoy hearing from you!! Not only are your replies usually comical,they are usually knowledgeable and insightful and much appreciated!!!Keep swingin' that bling thing, Bootstrap

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used

Derek752 said:
Congrats Bootstrp on a last minute before the snow dumps on us hunt and some nice silver !!

Its looking bad up here....lake effect snow-temps down in the teens >:( :'(
Thanks Merf, Halfdime and Derick,Yeah Derick I think it is really over for the season now.Sounds like you really have some snow coming your way right now,and I'm sure you'll be sending it my way,UNFORTUNATLY!!! HH to all who still can, Bootstrap

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used

KirkPA said:
Nice wilver digs, bootstrap. :)

BDD...Kirk
Thanks Kirk,nice to hear from you!! Freezin' your datectin' a$$ off yet?It's over here,save for maybe an occasional warm day at the coast but if that's all I can get I'll take it!
Bootstrap Vinn
Also a John Walter style datectorist,no meters no VDI
just listening for that whisper of sound that says,
"DIG HERE"

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

Congrats on the great coins Vin! I wish I could hunt the old fairgrounds by my house but they are occasionally still used for trade shows and still have an annual county fair. Maybe one day I will get the nerve to go ask them if I could detect there. It has been used for over 100 years.

Congrats again

Funkman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread