New Penny Question

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
So I've been Ryedaling like 300-500 in pennies a week. And earlier this week I picked up my boxes, and 4 of them are brand new 2013. I have to put them into bags to dump them, but is there anything I should look for? I dont usually look at individual coins, but I figure sense I am the first one to have these particular pennies, I may find something of value, but I have no clue what I'd be looking for. Thanks!

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are doubled dies to look for. Go to coppcoins website and you can look them up.

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd rather not inspect each coin individually, but over view them all.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sample a few rolls. That should give you an idea of whether or not the dies had any doubling.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
So I've been Ryedaling like 300-500 in pennies a week. And earlier this week I picked up my boxes, and 4 of them are brand new 2013. I have to put them into bags to dump them, but is there anything I should look for? I dont usually look at individual coins, but I figure sense I am the first one to have these particular pennies, I may find something of value, but I have no clue what I'd be looking for. Thanks!

what are your stats for the pennies?
% copper Lincoln memorial?
% wheats?
% IH?
% Canadian copper?

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep 1 or two boxes so next time you get BU 2014s you can sell them on ebay together. As previously mentioned they would sell better early on, the same is true of the upcoming 2014 batch...you should keep that in mind.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Down where I live, it is about a 50% copper rate, at least for cwr's. In change it is about the same story. Haven't tried boxes yet...

Are boxes and cwr's about the same wherever one lives?

CWR are 13% average

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The easiest error to see on Zinkers would be a lamination error.

If any of the coins seem to have a grayish-silvery splotch, you might have a coin that left the mint without it's full coating of Cu.
The bigger the exposed Zn the more valuable the coin.

Technically that would be a plating error not lamination. Lam errors on zinc cents are extremely rare.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Don't either bother opening the 2013 boxes. Just take them to the dump bank.

This would be my advice. If you do open some, the easiest error to check for would probably be clipped planchets, though probably not worth the time it would take to search them.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread