Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since getting my metal detector for Christmas I found I view the world with a new perspective. As I go about my daily activities I see dozens of places that would be good areas to detect where once I paid them little attention. Many of the sites bring back childhood memories about how the neighborhoods looked then, what certain properties were once used for and what renovations would likely turn up "treasures".etc. It also brings back so much history of the area that I had long forgotten. I find myself asking questions of total strangers about "What use to be there"," When did the park close", "Who owns that parcel now", etc, etc. When I first got my detector I worried about where I would dig, but now I jot down likely places as I think of them or pass by them and find that the list is endless and that's just around my neighborhood!. I just hope I live long enough to search them all! Even just reading posts her on the forum makes me think of several places that I could dig. Does this sound familiar? jimmileo

Upvote 0

AlabamaClay

Dec 27, 2004
Sounds like me too. I'm always thinking about new spots. Keep an eye out for new construction where sidewalks are being torn up or old building are coming down.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya. Since i got back into detecting i cant believe all the spots i never really noticed before! 8)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm feel the same way. I've only had my detector since Christmas. Could only detect for about 3 hours before the snow came. I have this big long list that will take me years to complete.

Jimmileo..go to your local library. Our library has some great books on local history and I started looking at old maps. I found a 1895 panoramic map of my city. I've found an atlas of our county from 1873. I take them to work and everybody looks at them during lunch. They've given me lots of ideas of where to look.

My daughter just got her permit a couple of months ago. Instead of watching what she's doing when she's driving....I'm looking for places to detect. ::)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nope, always had "those thoughts" on my mind whenever I went anywhere. Talked about it when I was just a small cell. Mother Lowbatts would say things like,"You've got to stop thinking that way or you'll never get anywhere!" and later, when I became a teen I often heard, "That'll make you go blind!"

But I persevered. Took up driving early on and would go about the countryside stopping here and there along old roads and jumpin' out to dig for gold. Folks would pull up and say, "You darn fool, what you looking for?"
"Gold!" sez I.

One day, near a park in town I thought I'd hit the curb and check out the parkway. Spent quite a time there just a digging and checking, digging and checking. Some old timer came out of his house and looked at me, all puzzled and asked the old familiar, "What kind of idiot are you?" Well I told him alright, "I am a treasure hunter, Sir! Now what kind of idiot did you think I was?"

Well he was in good spirits and brought his metal detector out and showed it to me. Hmm.... Let me use it he did! Imagine my surprise when the next hole I dug actually contained an old cent! Then he told me where I could get one and boy since then, that machine sure has cut down on my digging and really improved my findin'!

Well here's to you all, those that have to learn the hard way and those that can still see! Happy hunting!

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
So much stuff to find,
So few hours to detect!
If you had these thoughts in Russia,
You'd probably have to defect!

Thank goodness says I,
It's easy to detect an X,
Espically when you own a Whites DFX!
Spotz

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lowbatts, I was like that too when I was growing up. I was always searching the ground for something. Always looking for arrowheads. Digging fossils. Dreaming of treasures.

I remember one day I took my dad's chipping hammer into the woods to dig for treasure. I picked the wrong spot to dig cuz it was a yellow jacket nest that I sunk that hammer into. I never ran so fast in my life. I ran out of the woods across the field screaming. My dad laughed his head off. No treasure for me that day. Just alot of bee stings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread