New Piece Of Hardstone.

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
I haven't been to the site for quite a while and found that I had a lot of catching up to do. I also haven't had much time for artifact hunting lately but finally had a day off yesterday and decided to take advantage of it.
I hit a creek that borders three or four great sites that I've hunted in the past and had great luck. Unfortunately, they've all been put into either pasture or native grass so they're impossible to hunt any more. I still come up with a few pieces out of the creek, though.
The leaves were a lot worse on the gravel bars than I had expected so I was a little discouraged but my mood changed when I spotted this little axe. It was my only find of the morning but it was plenty good enough for this old head hunter. It's not very big but it was complete. Just the way I like them.

axe1.jpg

axe4.jpg

axe3.jpg

axe5.jpg

axe6.jpg

axe7.jpg

1point

Mar 13, 2011
Central Iowa
Heck of a find Tom! that is definitely a sweet axe and to find amongst all the leaves, etc. lends to your keen eyesight. Thanks for posting - you've been known to find rocks when deer season hits ;D

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
Glad to see you got back out Tom and posting again....Wow what a great find!!!!! That is a full grove one correct? I'm getting ready for the annual pilgrimage down South, but have some pics to post before I do.... If I could just find the battery charger to my camera :icon_scratch:
Awesome little axe, again congrats :thumbsup:

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Awesom Tom great eye a grand find classic Iowa material , I like how most points and axes settle pointing downsteam , Do you think that one traveled far Tom ? seems like a busy work year for most of us glad you could get out have missed your picture perfect posts.

centraliowa21

Mar 23, 2011
Prime, I've missed your posts and pics. Glad to see ya posting some stuff again. That little axe is killer! Congrats on the find, especially with all those leaves. I still am searching for my first one.

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
Absolutely incredible Tom and that is a "find-of-a-lifetime" for most people. Glad you scored on a well-deserved day off and hope you get some more days off soon so we have something to look forward to while surfing the net.

You The Man!! :notworthy:

OP
OP
Prime_Focus

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Thanks guys! I wish I had more time to play but it doesn't look like it will change much until winter.
Trent, it's a 3/4 groove. I'm hoping for a lot of harvest action soon with maybe some fall tillage and rain before winter freezes things up.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! Boy, that axe was sure camoflaged. Good eyes there. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread