s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran into an old buddy today and he graciously gave me permission to hunt some land belonging to his family 15 minutes from my house. 144 acres with no one living on it.
My question is,not knowing anything about the property,what do I look for in a productive area. I know to look for old chimneys, pottery on top of the ground or old structures.
Any other advice would be appreciated.
Plan on walking the property in the next couple of days.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all land was used by a lot of people in the past. It would help to learn the history of the property. Perhaps some farmer or hunter lost something there. Even old fired shotgun shells are collectable. Will you get rich finding some valuable coin? Maybe, but the reason your hunting it is the adventure.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
s.c.shooter said:
Ran into an old buddy today and he graciously gave me permission to hunt some land belonging to his family 15 minutes from my house. 144 acres with no one living on it.
My question is,not knowing anything about the property,what do I look for in a productive area. I know to look for old chimneys, pottery on top of the ground or old structures.
Any other advice would be appreciated.
Plan on walking the property in the next couple of days.

I personally, would start 50-100yds from any built up "driveways" where dirt has been built up over a tin horn in the ditch. Maybe, just mayyyybe the original location of the entrances to what hopefully used to be a homestead are still in the same location. It has been with one I searched and there wasn't even a foundation. Keep quickly searching different "likely spots" a home would have maybe been till you start finding anything that resembles personal trash or anything. If you cant find out any clues from anyone local, that's about all you can do. Enjoy the virgin territory! :blob7: I'd also be looking for groups of trees. If there's a wooded area with BIG trees, and some in the middle are smaller, mayyyyybe a home used to be where the smaller, younger trees are at now. Gonna have to be a detective on this one shooter! Best of Luck, and HH!!!

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
use Google Earth to look at it from above... that might help you locate things... its a great tool!

Chukers

broken glass is a dead giveaway for me... it don't have to be a lot... really anything rusty iron pipes look for anything man made.

OP
OP
s.c.shooter

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice gang. I haven't done a lot of relic hunting.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
s.c.shooter said:
Thanks for the advice gang. I haven't done a lot of relic hunting.

Just have a great time! Whatever you find is a bonus!

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy hunting, I have been around old buildings yesterday and found a lot of nails and trash by the base of walls. The small building in a hydrolic mine area by clear creek is now a local city dump site, I saw it even had a ore car with some track from the gold rush past. I do find bolts and stuff from production times.
I do not give up, a nickle hit may be a nugget I am after but I can go for some old coin(s).
I have my settings for all metal and dig all targets, I just don't want to pass up a great find, hang in there buddy and keep hitting. (From: French Gulch, Northern California, USA.

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early cabin sites always have an easily accessible source of water. The early ones usually did not dig wells. If the property has a year round source of water I would concrete my search in such areas.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
limegoldconvertible68 said:
Early cabin sites always have an easily accessible source of water. The early ones usually did not dig wells. If the property has a year round source of water I would concrete my search in such areas.

Good advice!

digsomemore

Oct 12, 2011
south carolina
Detector(s) used
White's classic SL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey o wise ones when going to a new place not home site flat. Land how what are some of the early sign of live do you look for glass trash pull tabs lol iron nails what your take on it that there maybe good stuff there ? Help hh

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
digsomemore said:
Hey o wise ones when going to a new place not home site flat. Land how what are some of the early sign of live do you look for glass trash pull tabs lol iron nails what your take on it that there maybe good stuff there ? Help hh

You said it. Lol. Yeah, just any sign of civilization. The more civilized, the better! LMAO. Couldn't help myself.... :tard:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
144 acres ....You will be a busybody for a year or 2 or 3 ect.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kayden said:
144 acres ....You will be a busybody for a year or 2 or 3 ect.

Yeah, especially if you sweep from all angles! LOL

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you don't know about the area, Run your MD, Dig all targets! Oh :headbang: Yea!!!
I agree with okdiggermark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread