New potentially incredible permission.

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got permission to hunt a late 1700's early 1800's settlement located on 650 acres. There are old foundations lining an old carriage/wagon road. There is several wagon roads throughout the property that are well worn into the earth. Then put away from the main settlement are several house foundations with partial chimneys still standing. The owner bought it from a family almost 25 years ago and as far as he knows no one has MDed the area ever. It is being used now for release hunt trips to pheasant. I have unlimited access except when there is a paid hunt in progress. Where would you start?

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
House sites. High ground triangulated near water and roads.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also start with the foundations and work around then into them if possible. Keeping safe as there may be rotted flooring over cellars. Sounds like a lot of hunts to come and if untouched, you may be looking at some interesting finds. Good luck and let us know what strategy you take and if you have luck!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Retired Fire

I think you wanted to make a Post here.
Somehow you hit Banner Report Instead :tongue3:

Try again ?

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Retired Fire

I think you wanted to make a Post here.
Somehow you hit Banner Report Instead :tongue3:

Try again ?
Opps! Sorry I was on my mobile and it is so touchy. And fat fingers don't help. Thanks for letting me know.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !! That sounds incredible. First thing that comes to my mind is cache. Check the chimneys.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
House sites. High ground triangulated near water and roads.

I think I know what you are saying but if I am wrong let me know. I think you are saying to search the areas between houses and water and roads. And search high grounds? Let me know if I am way off base. LOL Thanks

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !! That sounds incredible. First thing that comes to my mind is cache. Check the chimneys.

OK, Sounds like a plan. I always remember my Brother was messing around a chimney in the pine woods near our house once when we were young and he found a loose brick that just fell out when he touched it. He saw a small blue cloth and pulled it and silver dimes and a quarter went flying. I think they were placed there after the house had been gone a while. I always wanted to find some place like that again. Who knows? Maybe this is it.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also start with the foundations and work around then into them if possible. Keeping safe as there may be rotted flooring over cellars. Sounds like a lot of hunts to come and if untouched, you may be looking at some interesting finds. Good luck and let us know what strategy you take and if you have luck!

I think that is a great idea. I most definetley will be careful. I am sure there might be some covered wells too. Those things scare the heck out of me. Especially if I am alone. I think I will take one foundation and the area around it and do one each trip. That way I can concentrate on the coverage. And like Dug said I will check paths leading from them to other areas after I have covered the foundations. Thanks for the suggestions

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Retired Fire,

Work the cellar holes very slow, find the large trees and work around them carefully listening for any signal. For the rest of the property grid, grid and grid the area looking for iron signals ("life blood of any site"). If you could find an old map of the property or area that would help. Look for the privy, barn or any out building locations. Think of the property "back in the day", not as it looks today.

Good Luck in your new adventure! :icon_thumleft:

If you have any specific questions you could PM me.

Best Regards,

Doc

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice Professor. I will keep all this in mind. Thanks so much.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, start with the foundations including the chimneys as stated, then any cellar holes, then grid the entire property one piece at a time. Don't forget the carriage/wagon road as well because folks lost more than horse shoes due to the roughness of dirt roads. If the location is anywhere near your' location of Charlotte which is in the Carolina Gold Belt region, then there is a good chance you could find Gold, the natural kind in or outside of any streams. If you don't Gold prospect, it might behoove you to get the equipment and learn.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well tomorrow morning I will make my first search of this property. I have been researching some about it and here is what I have learned. Sometime in the mid 1700's (1752-1780) settlers formed a community of farmers in this area. Around the end of the 1700's there were around 4 farms a store, blacksmith and a feed mill within 1/2 mile radius of this property. The General store, 2 farms and other misc. establishments are on the permission I have. Both the Revolutionary and Civil war saw encampments in the area but it is not clear if any were on this property. In the early 1800's around 1810 most of the residents left because of years of bad crops and the population moved out to the east about 15 miles away where soil was better and there was better mercantile and supply options. A. ll is now gone except 2 plantation houses (Not on my permission) in which one is still occupied and the other is in need of refirb . In 1960 the Army Corp dredged the river to the north of the property to help improve irrigation. Now there are multiple farms all around the area once again. This should be very interesting. This will be an ongoing search if all goes well. Wish me luck.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Retired Fire, along with everything that you have been given, I remember someone saying to also check along/around fence posts if the yards were fenced in as some people buried money near posts since they did not always have a chance to get to the bank or trust them and the holes were being dug. Even rock walls may hold hidden mini vaults! GL HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread