Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a new 54", 26 HP Husquvarna lawn tractor this Spring. And I bought a new 70 cc Stihl weed eater. And I bought a good new Honda power washer. The mower started right up and ran great for the first mowing. The weed eater started right up and ran great also for the first time also. And the power washer did also.

I got/used 10% ethanol gas for the lawn mower, power washer and for the mix in the weed eater. I used this new lawn mower once to mow the entire lawn with no problems and then problems arose quickly upon the next try. And then the next day the new weed eater had problems. The Honda powered washer did great even after 3-4 tanks of 10% ethanol mix gasoline used and still runs greats... All the same supply of fuel was used for the mower, weed eater and power washer.

The new mower upon the next try didn't run well at all.... in fact I couldn't even run it more than 4-5 minutes with mower engaged before it started to cut out. Upon the next try with the weed eater.... it wouldn't even start.

I drained all the fuel from the weed eater, and siphoned out all the fuel from the new lawn mower. I went into town and bought high grade-non ethanol gasoline. I believe it was 98 octane ($2.98 P/Gal). Came home mixed fuel for the weed eater and poured the rest into mower. BOTH FIRED RIGHT UP AND RAN BETTER THAN NEW.... I mean the difference was remarkable!

Next time the new power washer runs out of fuel it's getting the same new fuel source. I think running this higher priced fuel is much cheaper than the repairs later. I don't know if everybody has access to it but I do. I'm thinking now of filling up my vehicle with the 95 octane for $2. 85 P/Gal now. Surely it's got to be better for the fuel injectors, plugs and cylinders.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Auto's seem to do alright on ethanol blends despite their being a bad formula.
I run ethanol treatment and stabilizer in all outdoor items. Starbright or something named similar with midgrade fuel.
Shame on me ...but lawn tractor sat out all winter with fuel in it and no battery maintainer and still fired right up.
It's quite a run to buy "Rec" /recreational fuel(no ethanol) from here... but a couple stations have it.
"High test"/high grade fuel does not guarantee no ethanol ; unless labeled accordingly.

Small engine shops can confirm the evil of ethanol on lines and carbs.
Especially on older items.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALL my small engines (chainsaw, weed eater, lawn mower, pressure washer, concrete saw...) use NON-ethanol fuel. Only one station in town sells it, it is a buck a gallon more. I had a lawn mower sit for two months, took the carb off, float bowl had "goo" in it! Corn is to eat, preferably on the cob...not to add to fuel! The ethanol attracts water BIG TIME! I had to install a new carb on my concrete saw because of that $@^&***!*^$ ing ethanol fuel.

Last edited:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pure gas is too expensive for me to justify using so I add Sta-Bil and Sea Foam to my three mowers and weed eater.. The wife adds 120 volts to her weed eater.:laughing7:
Here is a link for those that need pure gasoline.
Marvin
PS, Limitool, I made a midnight run to TN and got a humongus HS last night.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes !! I have had the same problems! In everything! Before I moved I couldn't even run that stuff in my quads, I have a cousin who was dumping his quads at auction because he said he was tired of messing with them everytime he wanted to ride. Anything with a motor! That gas is crap! And why does the regular with out the 10% cost so much more? Because we all still have to have it! Boats are another big one! I'm cringing because I have a motorcycle in storage in Ohio and I don't remember what fuel is in it! :laughing7:It's been in storage for over two years! So I might be in trouble either way now. I'm hoping I used 109 octane because that was what I was using in all the offroad stuff. But every once in a while I'd dump in what I had sitting around. I used the ethanol free last summer and this spring everything started and ran great!

You can't use that crap! And it doesn't have to sit long to make the motors run bad or not run at all!

Last edited:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i use trufuel in all my 2-cycle engine, not cheap.but it better than buying a carb kit every time i use it.
thanks brad

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Strange - we have a Husqvarna riding mower, Husqvarna walk behind string trimmer, etc. Long, LONG winters here! The mower sat inside most of the winter with eth/gas fuel, as straight unleaded is virtually unheard of up here! All of our equipment starts up just fine. I usually leave a small amount in the tank - that prevents anything from evaporating and helps to keep things liquidized. At Spring startup, I simply top off with fresh fuel and away I go. Yes, they run MUCH better with non-eth gas, but you just can't find it up here. ..I think one station has it, but we don't go that direction. Anyway, have heard that 2-cycle engines shouldn't use eth/gas fuels. But so far, everything still running strong. Just smells a bit gassy is all - every time we run the mower, it smells gassy. But no leaks.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the carb off of every small engine I have until I switched to ethanol free gas. Like everything else in this country, it's built to fail. I recently bought a large generator from a guy for practically nothing because it wouldn't run. Just as I suspected, took the carb off and tore it down and cleaned it, now it runs like a top. If you have to buy a bunch of additives for cheap gas you just as well pay the price for good gas. Small engine shops love ethonal gas, it's a quick fix for them and creates a lot business.

HH, Relic Nut

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the carb off of every small engine I have until I switched to ethanol free gas. Like everything else in this country, it's built to fail. I recently bought a large generator from a guy for practically nothing because it wouldn't run. Just as I suspected, took the carb off and tore it down and cleaned it, now it runs like a top. If you have to buy a bunch of additives for cheap gas you just as well pay the price for good gas. Small engine shops love ethonal gas, it's a quick fix for them and creates a lot business.

HH, Relic Nut

Yes!!!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My new lawn mower is still running great since I switched to non-ethanol fuel.

kcm.... I don't know what to say...? I have the 26 HP Kohler engine...? And, ever since I switched NOT A PROBLEM!

I took my NEW(BRAND NEW) 70cc Stihl weed wacker in for a QUICK repair. I got so pissed trying to start it (upon the 2nd usage) that the cord broke... THAT DID IT! The repairman (Johnny) said... "Brad if it wasn't for bad fuel I'd be out of business". He said... "Go home, through your fuel out and get some "clean" fuel. I am so fortunate to have a farm supply place that sells all fuel grades close to me. The fuel costs more.... but what the hell if it burns clean and doesn't gum up the works? I bought 15 gallons that day so I'm set for awhile.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I wonder if part of the problem isn't location. See, it doesn't get very warm here usually. For us, 70° temps are like 90° temps for everyone else. Therefore, maybe temp and/or condensation plays a factor. Seems we had the same problem as you when in Central MN, as the temps weren't quite so cool. ...I dunno.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I wonder if part of the problem isn't location. See, it doesn't get very warm here usually. For us, 70° temps are like 90° temps for everyone else. Therefore, maybe temp and/or condensation plays a factor. Seems we had the same problem as you when in Central MN, as the temps weren't quite so cool. ...I dunno.

Maybe guy.... Hell I don't either for sure. Now I also bought a new Honda power washer this Spring. Now it seems to run just fine on the ethanol fuel thus far. But as long as I have access to the high grade fuel I'm going to just burn it in all the power equipment now. It's probably much better for the fuel tank / lines and carbs also. When I siphoned out the 2 remaining gallons on the mower there was a splash of fuel left and the fuel line to carb. I then filled up with the "good" fuel and started the mower up idling on high. About 30-40 seconds later the engine picked up a few RPM's and its never missed or skipped a beat yet...????

It might be weather or maybe I got a batch of bad fuel... I don't really know. But I'm now sticking to the high grade fuel despite the added cost. In the end I bet it cheaper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread