New property with new firsts

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, after fishing my share of local parks, I was itching to find somewhere new to cast my hopes. A friend of mine told me about his mothers place in a nearby small town and the home was pretty old (20's or 30's...the mother was not quite sure). After digging a seemingly endless string of wheats without much else than clad and scrap metal items, I finally started hitting some older IH's. One such IH had an odd thickness to it. At first I wasn't sure what the deal was with that, but researching I found that Indian heads were minted much thicker around the civil war time period. After cleaning it up I got the date: 1862. By far the oldest IH in my collection and beating my other oldest coin (a '77 seated quarter) by 15 years. Absolutely thrilled!
Among all the wheats I un-earthed, one such dig produced five wheats in one hole: a first for me. One after another they came out. Cool. I was still perplexed, however, at the lack of silver on the property. That changed one day after a good soaking rain (note to moderators: yes, it took me some time to detect this site...not technically "Today's" finds, but the last several days. I felt it better to sum up my finds as opposed to piece meal my entries). In one hole, I manged to pull 3 silver Merc's: my first 3 silver hole ever. Just fantastic. Overall, a good first round at this site and hopefully something more in the future. Happy hunting to you all!

DSC07080.JPG DSC07085.jpg DSC07078.jpg

Upvote 10

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the nice permission and those 3 mercs. I'd hit that property in 2 grid directions. How deep was the deepest coin?

OP
OP
Alchemist

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the nice permission and those 3 mercs. I'd hit that property in 2 grid directions. How deep was the deepest coin?

Thanks. Deepest I'd say about 6-8". I gridded most of the property north-south. It's pretty dry here in Wisconsin and I think I'll wait until fall to dig again for the sake of the grass.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hall..... Getting permission is going to be the way to go because the parks are getting really worked over here. Again great finds keep the post coming, nice to see that others are finding good stuff.....

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Mercs and the fat IH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread