New Prospector from NC

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I'm new to prospecting for gold. I have been reading some good threads on this forum, I've been researching the Carolina Slate Belt and finding info about how gold deposits here. I live in Yadkin Co., NC but I have a friend that leaves in Stanly Co. near the Cabarrus line and the Rocky River (close to the Reed Gold Mine). He is new to gold prospecting too and has invited me to come to his land to see if we can find some next week. He has just bought some pans and a Whites detector. We believe that his land has potential with a stream on it feeding into the Rocky River and possibly some ancient creek beds. We decided to start small (panning, looking for quartz) and hoping to work our way to expose the bedrock to finding the source of a larger deposit(s). We are not sure how well this is going to turn out but I know we won't know unless we try. Overall, I'm wanting to expand my knowledge of finding gold in NC. Anyone here live near the Rocky River or have any tips/stories about gold prospecting in that particular area of NC? I would really enjoy hearing what yall have to say. Thanks and happy hunting to all!

Upvote 0

DynoGuy

Nov 10, 2013
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
Sluices: Bazooka 30" Prospector, Bazooka Super Mini and a folding A52 clone. Homemade 12" x 24" Miller table.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to Tnet. I've only been prospecting for a little over a year and don't have info for that area, mostly I go out to Uwharrie NF or a buddies place in Troutman just to test new equipment or to dial something in, found gold in URE but not in Troutman. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey. I've never tried looking for gold before. I've always enjoyed gem mining and collecting artifacts so I figured I will try to see if I can find some yellow flakes since I have permission to go to a potentially good area. My friend says there is a man up the creek from his land has fenced in his property to keep out the looters. The rumor is the reason why the man did that is b/c he is finding gold. So we figured we would give it a try down the creek on my friend's property. After reading some threads on here, I see that it would be best for us to start small and see how well it goes. Sounds like my friend says he sees a lot of black sand, quartz, pyrite & mica on his land. Overall, I'm hoping it will be a great start and a learning experience.

claygold

Nov 3, 2012
Hey I live not far from your friend have canoed rocky river many times prospected s couple time with little luck seems like bedrock was pretty deep your best bet would b that creek your friend has on b 'll ack sand sometimes u find very little an good gold sometimes lots of it and no gold sample a lot to find the hot spots where I prospect a local creek u can dig n one place find nothing move two feet over an hit a pocket so sample a lot good luck if u need any help I would b happy to been prospecting three years now slu ice box small dredge ect

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I was wondering how deep it is to get to the bedrock there. I've never been there before. I see on GoogleEarth that the elevation of the river there where he lives is like 380-400 ft above sea level. Where I live at in Yadkin Co., the Yadkin River is about 780-800 ft. and it drops like 500 ft where the Rocky River and Yadkin/Peedee meet. I like using it also to see areas that have a trough in elevation, as I believe it may be a deposition zone. We are going to dig for artifacts, metal detect & pan so we are going to try to just find whatever we can on his property. It is probably going to take some sampling and testing a few bucket loads from certain spots in that creek also. If we hit some pay dirt and find a good source, I might have to make some more trips down there. We might need a dredger also if we get positive results.

CabarrusGold

Nov 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from Cabarrus County, prospect near the areas you mentioned and own a 5" and a 4" dredge and other equipment. If you would like to go out some day, I'll be happy to help you all determine where your pay streak is. My family dates back to the early 1700's from that area. Just send me a Pm and I'll give ya my phone number.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread