New public lands bill passed S. 47

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a new law for public lands management.
This bill keeps public lands open to "hunting and sports activity" Has anyone any knowledge how this may affect public lands in California and Nevada for prospecting and mining? The article was in Fox News today and it got me wondering if this is going to do anything for us in the way of prospecting. I hear folks talking abour gates being put up on roads etc. This law changes all land closures to being temporary and only for a set amount of days. It limits the number of temporary closures to 3 times. Perminent closure must go through the Secretary of interior and then, "only extensively document the rationale for the decision, how the Department responded to concerns raised through public comments, and demonstrate that closing the land was necessary."

This paragraph was from the article:
Thanks to S. 47, the Interior Secretary must consult with state wildlife officials and allow for public notice and comment before closing off any parcel of public land to sporting activities. Temporary closures are limited to 180 days and can only be renewed up to three times, but must also be narrowly justified. Permanent closures, meanwhile, require the Secretary to extensively document the rationale for the decision, how the Department responded to concerns raised through public comments, and demonstrate that closing the land was necessary.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... how this may affect public lands in California and Nevada for prospecting and mining?....

Since when isn't "public lands in California and Nevada" been able to be detected, already ? Or are you talking about specifically nuggets/prospecting only ? I know Sacramento area guys who hunt nuggets, all the time, on public land. So I was unaware that we/they couldn't already hunt.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right, we can detect on the public lands. And prospect. However, this also addresses lands that have been closed. I'm not sure what that really means as far as prospecting and travel by vehicle. Why would this bill be needed in the first place? I know it pertains to hunting and shooting. But, something about this bill metioning closed lands raises a question for me. Anyone familiar with this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread