new recirculating sluicebox help......

mattisdell1983

Mar 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, its me again lol. Just a question. I built a recirculating sluicebox using my royal 30" sluice box. I bought a 1250 gph bilge pump to power it and have the thing setup at the right angle of 2-1/2" to 3" and with everything at full power the thing just doesnt get the water flowing like it should. I am using a 7 year old marine deep cycle battery that has been used alot but im not sure if thats the problem or if there is something else the matter like hose size, etc..Can anyone take a look and see what might be the reason for the slow water flow? thanks alot, Matt

p.s. I am open to any and all suggestions

here is the youtube link for my sluicebox in action.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, it seems that you arent flowing much.

How many feet of head is that pump rated for?

I use the 1000gph Hydro Pacific pump from Harbor Freight for $18 dollars and it flow more than that, granted I do not use it in the same way that you are and I have ZERO head pressure over its tested specs.

Here is a link that explains how these types of bilge pumps work and why they can not lift much water.
http://seagrant.uaf.edu/bookstore/boatkeeper/bilge-pumps.pdf

Pretty much any restriction or resistance will cause an increase in head pressure thus reducing the flow of your pump.

These types of pumps are simply a little impeller that spins around and water can push back hard enough to allow no flow.

Area's that I see that are causing problems are.

1.) Pump too far from discharge point
2.) Regulator Valve (That little hole in the ball is a lot smaller than your hose, take a peak inside.)
3.) Ribbed tubing
4.) Length of hose.

Things that I would change.

1.) Put the entire thing in a large tub or connect two tubs.
2.) Fill the water level right to the last riffle
3.) Set the pump sideways so that the discharge tube is going straight up and that the impeller intake is under water just enough not to suck air when the system ballances out.
4.) Use tubing that is smooth inside.
5.) Use a curved 90 degree section of PVC to minimize resistance to the top valve and bar.
6.) Ditch the the old tiny valve and buy a PVC ball valve as it will keep the same size inside the valve as the hose ID.
7.) Make a couple drip bars to see which one you like best, from the slot idea that you had to the one you have now.

Thats pretty much it. :)

You have a great start as it is and you may find that you might get the flow that you need simply changing the ball valve that you have to the larger constant ID PVC ball valve.

Oct 16, 2010
Heres what I use on my recirculating highbanker. Its a Keene 52 lengthed to 60". The pump is a 4700gph 12v bilge pump, ebay $98. I use it all the time, and its kick a##. Battery life is dependent on how you use it. I screen everything down to -1/4, usually run 15 5 gal buckets at a time. I have an earthquake shaker for screening. The tub is a 20 gal and no problem. Battery has never died after several hours use and used in a 110 converter at night, camping out.

improvmechanic

Jan 5, 2013
Seven years is a long time for a battery. Usual their operational life span is 3-5 years. Less under less than ideal conditions. While it may not be the problem it may leave you high and dry (so to speak) mid operation. I'd take it in and have it tested. I believe autozone should be able to use a micro vat and give them a look free. I know oreillys will. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread