May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad & I spent 5 hours gridding about 2 acres of the newly discovered Roman Site.

We finally got the Roman silver we hoped for (although broken), & it happened in a funny way. We had nearly got to the edge of the coin scatter & I said 'looks like we are not getting that Roman Silver'! You know it, very next dig - bam. A short while later, I added an observation; 'no sestertius from this site' it wasn't the next dig but 1 or 2 after! Funny & weird!

Rose farthing
25 Roman Bronze Coins
Roman silver - Julia Domna
Silver Collar Stud
Bent Hammered of Edward I
Roman bronze ring
Medieval Spindal whorl (Lead)
Crotal Bell
Very nice 14/15th C openwork strapend for a sword belt - pretty high status & I only have 1 other similar which I found this year.

PS. Picture 1 is Dad's solo hunt yesterday for 5 hours on one of our 'hunted out' sites. A few scrappies & 1 nice album coin, plus his turn to get a Roman Silver Ring - well the top section (bezel).

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 12

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds, you certainly don't disappoint! Regarding the bent Edward I, do you ever straighten-out the unintentionally plow-damaged or otherwise mutilated pieces? I know I would! I understand that love tokens (and personal preferences) are different though. Thanks for sharing.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! I really like that strap end. Very cool

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a gread day again! I bet there is an unbroken silver hidden somewhere. Was the Denarius in a fire? Can't tell from the pic. Good sign if it was.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love those romans. I'll bet they're fun to dig

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
must be nice to wake up and say.... "i think ill hunt a new roman site today" ... oh gee, whadda ya know,... i made banner again...lol... i give it a week, youll have another one up there.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds, you certainly don't disappoint! Regarding the bent Edward I, do you ever straighten-out the unintentionally plow-damaged or otherwise mutilated pieces? I know I would! I understand that love tokens (and personal preferences) are different though. Thanks for sharing.

Its on a case by case basis. I have make mistakes in the past. There was one Irish penny which was bent right over flat in half. I was dieing to know if it was a rare mint, because I only have a couple of Irish hammered - straighten it & it broke - worst than that I found out that some hammered coins we deliberately folded in half as an old English Custom to gain good luck - ouch.
Many of them I heat in boiling hot oil & straighten unless they are cracked. This one is the most common hammered we get, so I may just give it to the owner & let him decide.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a gread day again! I bet there is an unbroken silver hidden somewhere. Was the Denarius in a fire? Can't tell from the pic. Good sign if it was.

No, fire from what I can tell.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,great finds!What's the bronze,a Constantine?

Constantine II AE3. AD 325-326. CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left / PROVIDENTIAE CAESS, campgate, 6 layers, two turrets, star above.

Last edited:

Rip_Uk

May 26, 2013
West Mids
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 11" Coil, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
25 Roman coins in one dig? omg.

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Crotal Crusader, What exactly is a spindle Whorl ?. You and your dad really tear it up. Always nice finds. If I ever cross the big pond , I would like to check out your museum. Nice Job !!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds again as usual Cru. One question about your bent hammered. I've heard different stories as to the significance of a hammered coin being bent. After I found 3 of them at my hammered cache site I was told that after the end of a relationship the woman would bend a silver coin and discard it. I've heard other versions as well. But since I found 3 in close proximity I doubt that would be the case. What's your take on that? Has to be some significance to that practice.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Crotal Crusader, What exactly is a spindle Whorl ?. You and your dad really tear it up. Always nice finds. If I ever cross the big pond , I would like to check out your museum. Nice Job !!

Its the round lead object with a hole in the middle where a stick was present & it was used to hand spin out sheep wool. There is a famous medieval image of a lady spinning out the wool whilst outside feeding the chickens - multi-tasking as usual.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds again as usual Cru. One question about your bent hammered. I've heard different stories as to the significance of a hammered coin being bent. After I found 3 of them at my hammered cache site I was told that after the end of a relationship the woman would bend a silver coin and discard it. I've heard other versions as well. But since I found 3 in close proximity I doubt that would be the case. What's your take on that? Has to be some significance to that practice.

Never heard that story but it seems twisted by word of mouth. Love Tokens are bent in two different directions:
The Crooked Sixpence Love Token | John Winter
There are several theories about whether these we lost or thrown by the lady, but they were given by the man as a form of affection.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always have to check out a Cru-post. Nice finds. Keep diggin & postin' please. I've got an itchy banner trigger finger...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread