🔎 UNIDENTIFIED New Saw

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My new 16” Highland Park saw arrived yesterday. Hopefully I can do a test run or two today.
IMG_4919.jpeg
IMG_4923.jpeg

IMG_4928.jpeg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 3
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another question: Is it water / oil cooled or isn't it required?
I think you could use water for these igneous rocks but I use oil. It’s lapidary oil that is thin like mineral oil. Plus, the saw won’t rust with oil like it surely would with water. You for sure need to use non flammable lubricants.

Upvote 1

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you could use water for these igneous rocks but I use oil. It’s lapidary oil that is thin like mineral oil. Plus, the saw won’t rust with oil like it surely would with water. You for sure need to use non flammable lubricants.
I admit I know NOTHING about your saw or your hobby but am truly interested. I'm only using my common sense about it with NO knowledge.

QUESTION: If you did use water with a rust inhibitor or a type of anti-freeze would that work or protect your saw possibly? But I'm sure the oil is probably better overall for the blade and saw.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
QUESTION: If you did use water with a rust inhibitor or a type of anti-freeze would that work or protect your saw possibly? But I'm sure the oil is probably better overall for the blade and saw.
I suppose that would work but you’d be limited to cutting softer rocks. For very hard rocks like flint or agate oil is a must.

Upvote 1

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose that would work but you’d be limited to cutting softer rocks. For very hard rocks like flint or agate oil is a must.
Actually water would be just fine with any type of rock. We use these types of saws for glass and azs refractory liner(some of the hardest and densest stuff I have ever encountered) and we used water with just a touch of water soluble oil.(can't remember the type of oil off the top of my head). What ever you use its main job is to keep the particles from clogging up the diamonds in the blade and keeping it cool. There are even these white dressing stones that you can use before each project to ensure the blade is clean before you start. The rust thing you are spot on about though, with the amount of cutting we did it didn't make sense financially for us to use a pure cutting oil.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread