New Scuba Spot...... ITS COINS FOR SURE!!!!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
followed on from;

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/420842-new-scuba-spot.html

OK, so got this collection of encrusted items and was interested in items

new coins 018.JPG

Item #3 was the first to clean up enough over night to reveal this.........

new coins two 014.JPG new coins two 013.JPG new coins two 012.JPG new coins two 011.JPG new coins two 010.JPG new coins two 009.JPG new coins two 008.JPG new coins two 007.JPG new coins two 006.JPG new coins two 005.JPG new coins two 015.JPG

Will wait for the other three to see what they reveal!!!

THANKS FOR LOOKING!!

Upvote 22

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You my friend are living the life we all dream about! Hot sun, beautiful beaches, cold beer, and treasure coming from the sea :-) My hats off to you my brotha :-)

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most my diving is done below 50 ft so I use HP120 cft bottles with Nitrox for extended bottom time. If I plan on shallow dives then I would use 80s or 72s but I have plenty of them so BT isn't an issue. I use to dive for sea urchins and would make 5 dives a day in 15-20ft at around 90 min. a dive, lots of BT there.
If I were in the BVI and had a good shallow wreck I would consider a hookah system but like you said, others would get curious about what you were up to so maybe scuba is the way to go but just use more bottles.
Good luck and good hunting,
ZDD

Thanks for the tech info, very useful regarding BT :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You my friend are living the life we all dream about! Hot sun, beautiful beaches, cold beer, and treasure coming from the sea :-) My hats off to you my brotha :-)

Thanks!

As mentioned before, "living the dream" will be the name,of my new boat :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats BVI! You have been making some incredible finds and I am truly happy for you and a little jealous too! Good luck in your hunts!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats BVI! You have been making some incredible finds and I am truly happy for you and a little jealous too! Good luck in your hunts!

Thanks! :thumbsup:
I'm on a roll that's for sure - I bet its pull tabs and bottle tops for the rest of the year.......:laughing7:

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a footnote to this thread, the other items (#1 the round object just above #2) in the OP turned out to be an iron ring / shackle and some sort of iron bolt / eye.

Interesting, but don't think I'll be hanging them over the fireplace anytime soon!:laughing7:

All the smaller round items were musket shot.
All the small nails etc were too corroded to save.

View attachment 1013997 View attachment 1013998 View attachment 1013999

Last edited:

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Island hunter ,

Yes check it out :o that's krazy Kool 8-) Well Done !

Have you had a chance to get an estimated number of coins in the pics ?

Are most Spanish ?
CMDdawg

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Island hunter ,

Yes check it out :o that's krazy Kool 8-) Well Done !

Have you had a chance to get an estimated number of coins in the pics ?

Are most Spanish ?
CMDdawg

See PAGE 4 of the thread, post #46 and #56 for pictures!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You , Appreciate the shortcut . I am on the job and have only break to check out the latest on the Forum .

Fantastic Group of Treasure Best Wishes for " Many More" !

:occasion14:

CMDdawg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Despite the grid we searched, all the items were found in a 'hollow' in the seabed - I assume all the stuff from the surrounding area eventually ending up in what is basically a sump pit on the ocean floor?

Well Captain, before I reply to your quoted post, I just want to say Congrats on another great find and a Banner one at that! When you get bored finding all that Spanish Silver, 17th and 18th Century Iron bowling balls and sewer pipes, you can come up to Tennessee and help Brad and myself relieve the two-track wagon road that runs behind Brad's home of all of the dang horse and oxen shoes that have contaminated it.

As far as the above in quotes, I think you need to look further out to sea for more items. The coins and other items you found, more than likely have washed into that hollow in the seabed (I assume it is a low spot) from further out during the many storms and Hurricanes that have effect the islands where you live. Wave action from storms, currents and storm surges from Hurricanes can carry these items quite a distance from where a ship went down. If it were not for the hollow in the seabed, the items would have surely traveled further on the seabed and may have ended up onshore buried in sand. Hopefully, if and when you do a search further out to sea from the hollow in the seabed, more items will start to ring on your' metal detector within a 100 yards of the hollow's location and hopefully lead you to the big prize.

I hope you are staying safe and that the scallywags are finally leaving you alone!

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
After clicking on your link to the original Thread on these finds and reading all of the posts, it is quite possible that instead of being further out to sea, that the remains of the ship were blown ashore or very near to it. Therefore, a good search of waters close to shore up to several hundred yards inland, may be in order. If this is possibly what happened to the ship, hopefully it was not salvaged by locals or others not long after the ship's sinking.

Frank

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
.......salvaged by locals

Frank

Pesky locals :laughing7:

Welcome to the party Frank! the funs all but over:laughing7:

Given the area around this latest find, I don't think there will be too much else to salvage - and you know I would if I could :thumbsup:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Pesky locals :laughing7:

Welcome to the party Frank! the funs all but over:laughing7:

Given the area around this latest find, I don't think there will be too much else to salvage - and you know I would if I could :thumbsup:

Sorry I was sooo late to the party! I get so caught up in the some of the coin help postings that I never get around to checking out all of Today's Finds. You might be right that there may not be much left to salvage. However, considering your friend found ballast stones and you both found the coins in the hollow in the sea bed, this indicates that the ship had already started coming apart before it was blown ashore, if in fact it did. Therefore, I would bet there is more to be found but the question is where!!?? You may have to think that over real well but since the ballast stones were surely the first to go, other items would follow slow or fast depending how quickly the ship broke apart. Since you and your friend have been down there, is it possible that the other items were buried long ago under tons of sand and seabed and they are just beyond the capability of your' Garrett Sea Hunter?

Frank

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry I was sooo late to the party! I get so caught up in the some of the coin help postings that I never get around to checking out all of Today's Finds. You might be right that there may not be much left to salvage. However, considering your friend found ballast stones and you both found the coins in the hollow in the sea bed, this indicates that the ship had already started coming apart before it was blown ashore, if in fact it did. Therefore, I would bet there is more to be found but the question is where!!?? You may have to think that over real well but since the ballast stones were surely the first to go, other items would follow slow or fast depending how quickly the ship broke apart. Since you and your friend have been down there, is it possible that the other items were buried long ago under tons of sand and seabed and they are just beyond the capability of your' Garrett Sea Hunter?

Frank

I agree Frank - the underwater viz here is fantastic I can just see endless seabed, with only a handful of ballast stones - that was the center of our search.

I need some huge blowers to get down another 20ft I think! :laughing7:

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250