New Shipwreck - Take a stab at dating artifacts.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sure you can be an intern of sorts...I was an intern in the Mel Fisher Center in Sebastian in the artifact lab. It didn't pay much, but my job was to look at and photograph every artifact that came off the bottom on the 1715 leases. I can't tell you how much wisdom I gained as a diver by seeing all of those things, not to mention learning howto conserve and care for them properly. I also learned about surveying through working with some great friends (Scuba Dude, Rio Bravo, and GoldHound, 3 of the best).

It is a sacrifice, don't think it's not...I left a great career, beautiful home, nice girl, and just about any other worldly possesion to get here. Treasure hunting is funny, it immediately and forcefully puts you in a situation where you can't get out unless you find the big one...you have to be very committed. I'm talking mentally and financially here. Sure we sometimes sip rum on a Caribbean beach, the rest of the time we are stressed, tired, and broke. :wink: For what its worth, I wouldn't change a minute of it.

What are you studying? I haven't even gotten to dive on the Merchant yet. Indiana U. also has a concession inside our territory at Bahia Isabela, where Colon set up his 1st real attempt at a colony in the new world. Colon left a few ships on the bottom of that harbor. What great discoveries those will be for Indiana U. Charlie Beeker is a good guy, and one of the few actually getting wet, nothing but respect for him and what he is accomplishing.

It is possible that we may have some needs upcoming, right now our only need is proper financing, we already found the ship. Financial troubles are a common problem in private archaeology right now, and in academic archaeology as well unfortunately.

Jason

seekthenfind

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2009
Thanks...definitely some things to keep in mind. I'm currently studying Christian Education (a major which may not be so beneficial in the treasure hunting industry :icon_scratch: ) Yeah, diving the Merchant wreck was a highlight although snorkels would probably have been more suitable for the job. If you go, be sure to watch out for the jelly fish!...we probably just hit it on the wrong day. From a few books I've been reading, it seems like Colon had poor luck and managed to leave a few ships wherever he went....dying while still on the crowns trail. Maybe you have found the Gallega, MarĂ­agalante, Cardera, or San Juan from his second voyage. Is there one in particular that your hoping for? When I get back to school and start working again maybe you guys can sip some rum on me :wink:

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
Avast you scurvy swags!!!

As many of you may have surmised, we have found (can’t say) and are waiting for (can’t say) and then we can (can’t say) but if life was fair, we would be in a limo buying everyone drinks!

In the mean time, while we wait, there is something Bobadilla, ScubaFinder and I have been working on for quite a while and we would greatly appreciate it if our friends here on TNET would critique our idea before we post it to the world in an International Press Release if it IS a good idea. If not, sorry to waste your time and forget you ever saw this post. With the pressure taken off of us, we are more than willing to share the adventure that is all.

We are thinking about forming “The Last Pirate” Club! TaDa!

As most of you have read in previous posts on this thread and probably on our Website, we have the pirate ship the “Black Eagle” in our territory, which belonged to the pirate Cofresi who was the last successful pirate from the Golden Age of piracy in the Caribbean. This ship went down in flames while entering his hideout at Puerto Juanita in 1823 returning from more than likely sacking several ships. (My bet is they were all drunk!) He sacked more than 60 ships in his illustrious 2-year career, so he was very, very good at what he did!

This would be the third pirate ship ever found and very likely the first ever found with pirate booty still onboard!

We are thinking about forming this club to allow most anyone to join and help support the search/excavation/conservation/display of this most historical ship AND share in the booty, excavation, display and liquidation!

For as little as $1 you may be privy to the updates and member’s only blog and for as little as $1000 you may also share in the booty AND have the right to come down and join us for a week or possibly more while we bring her up!

We have had so many people tell us they wish they could participate with us on a real pirate expedition but don’t have a million dollars lying around. We hope this idea answers those many, many requests!

This may be the dumbest thing you have ever heard or sheer genius, so please tell us your thoughts and any suggestions you may have after looking at the rough draft. If many of you think it is stupid, we won’t do it.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated! Like I said, this is a rough draft and according to YOUR feedback it could be posted, modified greatly or deleted. The site is only one page and if the response if good, the blog, research, videos, maps, calendar for making reservations to come down etc. will be added and it will be made more exciting…this is only in the concept stage on a free site with stupid advertising at the top which will also go away…OK?

Please understand, this is only a rough draft! You can dress as pirates and bring up pirate booty in one of the most beautiful areas of all the Caribbean and have more fun than anyone and become famous and rich in the process! Want to join us? Help us format this offer PLEASE!

“Last Chance to Be a Pirate!”
http://www.TheLastPirateClub.com

Sincerely yours,
TheMuseumGuy, Bobadilla, ScubaFinder
Jack, Lubos, Jason

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
For me personally i will gladly give NCR a 1000dollars when i come back home to the DR, just to ensure that the important work continues.

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
Thank you Trond for your vote of confidence in us! You are our first Pirate and will have 1/50th of a % of NCR's share if we have enough interest to actually do this!

Have you seen Punta Rusia? It is one of the top three beaches here in the Dominican Republic as far as beauty goes but there is hardly anyone ever there! I've had the whole beach to myself before! Paradise Island is just off the beach a couple of miles too and man is it gorgeous with awesome reefs to dive too! Go to Google Earth and go West from Puerto Plata past Luperon, Past Isabela and you will see Punta Rusia. Some folks have posted some pictures on there of Punta Rusia and they are pretty good but nothing like being there. Palm trees on the beach and white, white fine grain sand and the water is crystal clear and emerald green/blue. Just spectacular. In the posted photos you can also see the hotel which sits actually ON the beach! It is three miles from the "Black Eagle" pirate ship site which is due West from there.

I don't know, but it seems like it would be fun to do this as a group and at night, if everyone wanted to, we could sit around bonfires on the beach in pirate outfits and talk like pirates...ARRRGGHH! Maybe I'm the only one that likes that stuff but we will see how the rest of the posts go. If enough folks think this is a good idea we can fund this and share the booty with them and the adventure. I will see how the rest of the replies go the next few days and then we will know if this is a good idea or not. When you come down maybe you want to come over and hang out with us for some time or several times. It is pretty cheap to stay there since it is a ways from the airport and off the beaten track and man are the girls friendly there! I'm going to try and get them some of those pirate costumes to wear!

Once again, Thank you Trond!
Jack

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
He he, yes try to get some of those pirate costumes- I`ll bring along my dear old friend Jack Daniels. :laughing7:

I don't think i have so many story's to tell around the bonfire, but I'm sure you guys have some.

When i come home i will bring the transportable parts of my diving gear, and i will also bring along two of my detectors- The JW 8x and the Excalibur. I hope i maybe can be of some use for the NCR.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Trond, we have a spot waiting for you. Anyone who happens to find themselves in this beautiful country is welcome to stop by and join us for a bit. Especially if they are not afraid of the water and have a metal detector. ;D Looking forward to seeing you.

jld2112

Jul 19, 2006
After looking at the website for a brief minute, I thought it was a joke. Just something put up to sell pirate costumes.

I understand that it was a first draft, but to me, and again this is just MY opinion, It looked like the very first draft of a kids club. The link on the side to womens costumes really confused me also.

If I had just run accross that site on the web I would not even think about investing. The site looks like it was rushed to get put up. Looks kinda like a site a scam would be run from.

I know I'll get flamed for this ... but the man asked for some honest opnions ... I'm just posting mine.

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
jld2112 said:
After looking at the website for a brief minute, I thought it was a joke. Just something put up to sell pirate costumes.
I understand that it was a first draft, but to me, and again this is just MY opinion, It looked like the very first draft of a kids club. The link on the side to women's costumes really confused me also.
If I had just run ac cross that site on the web I would not even think about investing. The site looks like it was rushed to get put up. Looks kinda like a site a scam would be run from.
I know I'll get flamed for this ... but the man asked for some honest opinions ... I'm just posting mine.

Welcome to TNET jld2112!

Yes, I really do want honest opinions, that is why I asked for them and the site is still only a rough draft, so thank you for yours so we can fine tune it according to all of you guy's feedback!

It is tough to decide which way to go with the site. Should we make it look corporate and serious or make it fun? But a lot of you guys get enough corporate/serious stuff during the day anyways, right?

We played pirates as kids and some us never quite grew up and some of us don't want to. I would really like this to be fun and have people bring down their pirate costumes and we can sit around bonfires on the beach and spin tales at night and look for pirate booty during the day. So, in a way it is a kid's club, but just a big kid's club.

I wanted to have some pics of pirate wenches and booty and ships etc. and while looking for photos I stumbled across those pirate costumes and it sort of made sense to have both photos of wenches and where you can buy the costumes also for men and accessories too all rolled into one. Maybe not.

I may take them off and make it more serious, its up to what I hear back on TNET.

So one vote for taking the girls off and make it a serious site so far. Everyone else let me know what you think too, OK? Please!

Trond, see you soon!

And Dell, we may can work something out, a cross promotion thing. Let me get this site fine tuned and I will follow up with you. Your site is looking good so far. I like your pirate wallpaper background and your story on TNET about the Ellijah B. Swift was fascinating! Good luck with your plans. Sounds like you will never grow up either! I think we have the Peter Pan Syndrome...what do you think? HA!

Keep the comments coming everyone!
THANK YOU!
Jack

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The idea of diving on a pirate ship is great, I've been doing it on the WHYDAH since 1983! One thing I would change is the statement regarding the only pirate ship to sink with booty still onboard, we have been recovering treasure since 1985 including some very rare African jewelry.

Best of luck and if you get up to New England let me know, of course our diving here is a lot different from the D.R.!

Pirate diver

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
THANK YOU PirateDiver! I immediately took that statement off! We were wondering about that, that is why we said possibly, and it is great we have that cleared up before we go public with a press release!

And same to you, you ever get down here please stop by and see what we are doing and dive with us in the warm crystal clear water!

Thanks again,
Jack

Goldust

Dec 18, 2007
Count me in as a member of the Last Pirates Club. I'll check out the site and see what it takes. I am planning on a trip to the DR in the near future, so if the timing works, I'll have a few folks to share a beer with.
As always, good luck on you guys and safe hunting.

TheMuseumGuy

Apr 14, 2009
La Romana
Welcome Goldust! Maybe you and Trond can be here at the same time! This should be a hoot!

I'm going to try and post some photos and videos of the area we will be working soon. It is truly beautiful and completely unspoiled. It looks just like the area in all the ads featuring a tropical paradise.

Besides the wreck, Cofresi buried a treasure at each end of the beach according to legend and testimonies. Well, the facts are, three of his other buried treasures have already been found by accident at construction sites etc. and all three were exactly where reports say they were and this was one of his main hide-outs and had a wife there too. So, why not? If it is a bit too rough out or so, we can dig on the beach for buried pirate booty! WOOT! :icon_pirat:

I will keep you posted as things develop and when we actually go public with a press release. Before we do that we need someone that is really good with Flash and designing Websites to dress it up. We can exchange a small piece of the action for their efforts. Let me know if anyone on here is interested!

Avast!
Let's see what tomorrow brings!
Jack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread