New show diggers

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Watched the new show on nat geo last night, and just like I suspected I'll be putting this show in the same category as I do some other tv shows that should be better like ax men, storage wars, anything pawn related, gold diggers etc. Most of these shows are big let downs. First of all you can't be sure how real any of it is. I would much rather see some shows with more educational value to it, and some type of assurance that it was real. I mean back in the 70s when you saw jacque cousteau dive into the ocean exploring some reef or etc you knew it was real. Him and his team didn't vote each other off or make each other lick jellyfish.
I mean cmon civ rev roundness ::), we got invited to..., oh yeah and juice. Gimme a break. Oh and if you watched the one where they visited the big estate (forgot where) I wasn't paying that much attention at that point) they talked about finding some "cologne" ::) and to be spec they hoped to find a king george, and lo and behold "king george" found some king george.
Nat geo should be nat redneck ch. NRC
I remember a day when national geographic was a respectable resource. :BangHead:

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted this in general and they moved it here. I didn't realize that there was a tv show section and that everyone had already posted on lots of shows already. I'm really glad I have found a place to complain about tv in the future. :blob7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See :D There Ya Go :icon_thumleft:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep.....so much for true reality TV......not been around in ages. Now it's all pretty much the same old scripted, entertainment based, crapola. Too bad, but I doubt it will change anytime soon, if ever? :dontknow:

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
JUST KEEP IT ON TVLAND !!!!!! :hello2:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean?
They found some serious NECTAR in that JUICE POCKET producing lots CIVS and COLOGNE and a 925!
That CIV ROUNDNESS was a great JUICE POCKET!
Never knew I could retire from brass shells going for a $1.00 a piece that I could just take from my local rod and gun club :) They have thousands of JUICE there on the ground and in buckets.

I was praying the ROUNDNESS they found was a canon ball and blew up so it would end the series LOL.

Ever seen that show JACKASS on MTV? That is what happens when they retire and take up Metal Detecting.

SOHIO said:
Watched the new show on nat geo last night, and just like I suspected I'll be putting this show in the same category as I do some other tv shows that should be better like ax men, storage wars, anything pawn related, gold diggers etc. Most of these shows are big let downs. First of all you can't be sure how real any of it is. I would much rather see some shows with more educational value to it, and some type of assurance that it was real. I mean back in the 70s when you saw jacque cousteau dive into the ocean exploring some reef or etc you knew it was real. Him and his team didn't vote each other off or make each other lick jellyfish.
I mean cmon civ rev roundness ::), we got invited to..., oh yeah and juice. Gimme a break. Oh and if you watched the one where they visited the big estate (forgot where) I wasn't paying that much attention at that point) they talked about finding some "cologne" ::) and to be spec they hoped to find a king george, and lo and behold "king george" found some king george.
I remember a day when national geographic was a respectable resource. :BangHead:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed watching the show. It could have been a lot worse.

1. Yes, their terminology is ridiculous. And sometimes it gets old. But hey, if they weren't "kooky guys" it would get old real fast. Unlike most metal detectorists I've met, they have personality. :icon_thumleft:

2. I don't think there was anything truly "fake" about the finds. If they wanted to fake it they would have been finding gold coins and such. There was absolutely nothing spectacular found despite the fact that they got to detect some premium sites. All normal metal detecting finds with some trash thrown in here and there.

3. The King George coin was probably found before they actually recorded him saying that he wanted to find a King George. It's all done for the sake of the viewer. He probably wasn't even expecting to find that coin and afterward they decided it would be cool to have him claim that he really wanted to find one. Remember, they can show this stuff out of sequence. The "sit down interview" portion of the show is always filmed after the field work is done.

4. The values they quote for each item are obviously inflated. We all know that you can't take any random .30-30 brass and expect to get $1 for it. HOWEVER, you could probably expect to get $1 for a piece of brass that was found in a specific place and had a neat piece of history behind it. If that brass really was from a specific prison riot then it is easy to believe that they could get $1 apiece or even more from interested collectors.

5. The "bets" they have help keep the show interesting. Without a little drama people are going to get tired of watching really quick. These guys are willing to "take one for the team" and do something wacky just to keep the show lively.

6. Their digging technique sometimes left a lot to be desired. I don't think I saw them dig a single plug. That's probably to be expected in the SC sandy soil. But up in Montana I would have expected to see some real plugs and not just them stabbing at the dirt. Of course, they weren't on any well manicured lawns so perhaps they didn't feel the need to be too careful.

7. It would have been nice for them to show more junk being dug. That's the reality of metal detecting. At least they showed some junk on the table when they were all done.

Overall, my kids and I liked the show. It's not exactly "reality" but I don't think they are purposely planting finds in order to look good. It's about as realistic as Gold Rush Alaska, American Pickers, and many of the other shows we enjoy watching. Then again, we know it isn't 100% real and don't expect it to be.

In general it was actually as realistic as it needed to be. They spent several days digging and found what most people would call "a whole lotta nothin'". Most people who aren't into metal detecting will walk away from that show wondering why on earth anyone would waste their time trying to find wheat pennies, bullets, buttons, and other such "juice". ;D I don't think too many people left that show thinking "Man! I have GOT to get me a metal detector!".

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched it.

Here's my take.

Too kooky and trying too hard for laughs to the point of being annoying. Too much ridiculous terminology that no one knows and no one uses. Too many "if I win he has to stand on his head and sing the national anthem while naked" routines. Too many coincidental good finds and not enough of the trashy realism that is metal detecting.

I lump it in with the rest of the so-called reality shows and predict it will not survive. At least storage wars has different personalities and a good looking young honey.

live free or die

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jglunt said:
I watched it.

Here's my take.

Too kooky and trying too hard for laughs to the point of being annoying. Too much ridiculous terminology that no one knows and no one uses. Too many "if I win he has to stand on his head and sing the national anthem while naked" routines. Too many coincidental good finds and not enough of the trashy realism that is metal detecting.

I lump it in with the rest of the so-called reality shows and predict it will not survive. At least storage wars has different personalities and a good looking young honey.

live free or die

I guarantee that if there was a "good looking young honey" on this show, many of you would be singing a different tune. ::)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mts said:
I guarantee that if there was a "good looking young honey" on this show, many of you would be singing a different tune. ::)

No Brainer Becky & Kristen :thumbsup:

Picture_049.jpg

Picture_049.jpg

Of course I'd say they are both "Over the Hill" Now
do They have Daughters ?

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=132550.0

Attachments

• kirsten1.jpg
    kirsten1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 335

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
SOHIO said:
Rednecks are too good for that channel. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread