New Site Gives Up Many Old Buttons, Gilt Cuff Link and More!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I haven't had much time for a good outing, so I have been getting in an hour here and an hour there when I can. That limits me to sites close to home. Luckily, I noticed a new nature trail a few weeks back so I have been there a few times over the last few weeks. The site was a farm field since the 1700's until about 15 years ago (before I lived in the area). Since then it has become a young forest.

I have suspicions that it may have been detected many years ago since almost all of the signals are mid range signals that may have been discriminated out by someone in coin mode. That is OK with me. I like digging old buttons almost as much as coins.

I spent a few hours with nary a signal on my first outing there a few weeks back until I got a mid range signal that usually means Indian Head. I was right on the money (no pun intended ;D) with an 1897. A few feet away was the Liberty Head nickel and the remains of a silver fountain pen with the initials LMC. Not my best finds, but it gave me hope. I also found some other goodies including a 1909 Wheatie, and a piece of pewter flatware.

Most intriguing, however are the buttons. I have now found 10 at the site, and all appear to be early 19th century or earlier. Three are early "Ball" buttons. All back marks are English except one is Irish. I do not recognize any of the back marks, other than the ones marked Standard Colour, etc. The others are all unusual and I cannot find any info, so any help is appreciated. They are HUGH WILSON* BELFAST , W.E.C. CO * LUDGATE HILL, W.H. * WARRANTED

The best find so far has to be the cuff link. I have recently learned to try to clean any gilted items button with aluminum jelly. This one surprised me with a lot of gilt remaining. The photo does not do it justice. There is a gem in the middle, which seems to be cut glass. I need to do some more careful cleaning on this one.

P4180005.JPG

P4110004.JPG

P4050006a.JPG

P4180004.JPG

P4180003.JPG

I am confident that there must be a copper or two hiding at the site, but it appears that I may have to wait until fall, as the underbrush is becoming impossible.

One other great find recently was at another field. I dug this nice two piece which cleaned up great!

P3280001.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: New Site Gives Up Many Old Buttons, Cuff Link and More!

Very nice. Congradulations.....

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola

some cool stuff. I'm not familiar with any of those backmarks. The button with the gold in the lower pic is a mid 1800's civilian button. That type is called a flower button.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice early buttons. I found one almost exactly like the one your holding above a couple weeks ago at a spot of mine. Very nice amount of gilting left.....very nice :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Shadowmanflash

Jul 4, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150 & 250

Some good finds for you there Niel, just never no what comes out of the ole dirt, huh, good fins, Ken.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great digs Neil! :thumbsup:

U

umrgolf

Beautiful cufflink neil!! :headbang: :headbang:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice mixture of finds and age, believe the oldest might be the flat button, the flower button is most likely 1830s to 1840 era and that design/type seems to be found by a lot of us at hunting at the early to mid 1800s sites. The other buttons might be late 1800s, have not really looked into it, but yes, put that on your places to hit next late fall/early winter, I'm sure you will sniff out a copper or two there aka Brushbeat hunting 101. :)

Don

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
what don said.
buttons must surely lead to currency.
sweet digs. got get that copper!