Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My bud Dan and I were finally able to get in our first full day of hunting of the new season on Saturday, and made our initial stop at a small but new site that was adjacent to one of our most productive areas from the past couple of years. Even though the crops had been cut it was a difficult site to hunt, and it was hard to find a spot to get the coil to the soil. But we were able to quickly confirm early occupation with a variety of mostly 18th century finds. Just about the very first target I encountered surprisingly turned out to be a cut piece of silver which was a good omen. Less than an hour later Dan tied the score with a nice cut pistareen of his own, but I quickly countered with another to take back the lead in our friendly but intense competition for "colonial silver king". I also recovered a variety of other early artifacts that we typically find on these kind of sites, including another 4 thimbles which seem to heavily populate just about every colonial homesite we hunt. We stayed there until mid-afternoon, and then opted to finish out the day at another of our old sites where the crops had just been cut. We've pounded this place the last 2-3 years, but it always seems to provide a few keepers. I ended up with a few more buttons and buckle pieces, but was quite surprised when a small, monogrammed gold ring appeared in the field that was found in the midst of the heavy iron, black glass and brick frags. It was a very low and broken signal that I was tempted not to dig, but I just had to see what it was that would give that type of a target response. And a small gold ring with a broken band fit the bill exactly. I don't think it has a whole lot of age to it - maybe early 1900s at the very earliest - but it was still a nice way to end the day.

Attachments

• 102514a.jpg
    102514a.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 102514b.jpg
    102514b.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 102514c.jpg
    102514c.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 102514d.jpg
    102514d.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 102514e.jpg
    102514e.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 10
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Any chance your cut silvers from this site or the one close by are from the same coin?

That would be an extremely rare occurrence. In the last 15+ years I've dug over 80 pieces of cut silver, and only found a matching pair once (see pic below). Once a coin was cut into pieces they would quickly go off in their own direction never to be reunited again. The two matching pieces I found were part of a large coin spill, but that still doesn't explain how they came to be found together.

cut piece1.JPG

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great day of digging! Liking the silver and something that's on the want list, but they're as rare as hens teeth in my area.
The ring is a sweet keeper that looks like it might be from the mid 19C era. Good digs, hunting buddy,= a winning day out.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Bill! I love the Spanish silver & it's great to pull a gold ring relic hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread