New Site produces Very Large 18th Century button and few other things

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Researched and found another new site yesterday, had high hopes of lots of relics, only got one copper and two buttons, the typical big pieces of broken iron pots and some pewter items/pieces.

The digging was horrendous on most of the site due to Gum trees, which seem to love to put shallow roots out all over the place making digging almost impossible in some areas, thus I had to forgo digging a few "button" type readings.

Both the large button (36.5mm) and the Coronet Large Cent were heavily encrusted with a cement like dirt, that after hours of soaking and cleaning, the button finally cleaned up fairly well, but not the Large Cent. I eventually had to take a ink eraser :o to the Large Cent to get the year, and actually got enough detail to show by doing that to determine the variety as a Newcomb 3 for the year 1819.

The round ball type button, I believe is late 1790's or so, not sure without looking up and the pewter disc, well, at first I thought I might have had another counterfeit Half Dollar, but now just not sure what they were attempting to do. The center hole I thought at first was to cancel it out (mark it as a counterfeit) but it must have been intended for another use.

The iron object, I have not looked at yet, but I think I will do electrolysis on it to see what is under the heavy rust. Overall, a nice little hunt, just wished there would have been more relics, lots of iron hits over a big area extending into the thick brush so this area will be hit again.

Don

Attachments

• Site233PanoramaView.jpg
    Site233PanoramaView.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 803
  • Pewter Disc.jpg
    Pewter Disc.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 799
  • Site233Feb17th.jpg
    Site233Feb17th.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 785
  • Site233Finds.jpg
    Site233Finds.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 787
  • 36.5mmDesignButtonSite233.jpg
    36.5mmDesignButtonSite233.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 782
Upvote 0
K

KirkTN

Love the big Copper and the button is Real nice. Have you found any I.D. info on it?

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, and great, great job of cleaning.
The one piece is similar to some of the ones I find here in Korea. I think that the old-timers used them for buttons, putting a thread loop up threw the hole, and them tying it around a small anchor. That's the best theory that I can come up with.
Interesting that they did it where you are, and here, in S. Korea, too. (For sure, all my one-holers are old, too.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread