New Site = Rev War Pewter and 1600s Silver!!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to do some door knocking today to secure some new hunting ground. There's been one field close to where I live that I've been eyeing for a while and this morning I finally knocked on the door and immediately got permission. My 1700s map shows a site near this field so I knew there was potential. It's on a hill on a creek near the main river so it had everything going for it. Just a hay field now so the grass was very short and the swinging good. After 10 minutes I landed the musketball and thought that was good start. Got onto an iron patch and started picking up the odd brass piece. I was fanning out and was just off the iron patch when I got a signal just above tin foil near the surface. I almost didn't dig it (dyh) but figured that since the field has been plowed many times the finds could be very close to the surface. I'm glad I dug it because it was a Rev. War pewter Royal Provincial button in better than average condition! It's got some edge loss but the RP and Crown are complete and easily readable. I've got to do a little more cleaning on this one I think.

Stuck around the site for a while and then started drifting away...found some odds and ends such as the 1832 Nova Scotia Thistle Half Penny Token and the early British general service button. Half way back across the field I found another small iron patch and started picking targets out of there. Got the spoon bowl and whizzer and a bunch of flat buttons inculding a small tombac when I got another decent tone close to the surface. No doubt about digging this one...had a nice round tone. Flipped out a shiny 1677 French 4 sol!

It was a killer hunt and will definitely warrant a return visit. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• photo 2(9).JPG
    photo 2(9).JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 194
  • photo 1(13).JPG
    photo 1(13).JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 190
  • photo(8).JPG
    photo(8).JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 200
  • photo 4(8).JPG
    photo 4(8).JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 215
  • photo 1(14).JPG
    photo 1(14).JPG
    54 KB · Views: 231
  • photo 2(10).JPG
    photo 2(10).JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 22

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds. Really nice silver!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That was indeed a great hunt. The button and silver coin are outstanding finds, and they bode well for your good fortune to continue.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds!

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an excellent hunt. Must have felt great seeing that silver come out of the ground then realizing it was 1600's. now get back and keep looking.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Finds! Welcome to the 1600's club!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Finds! It's a special feeling to be in the 1600's club!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's some Romeo finds ! Killer hunt ! I'd cut my pinky toe off to find that 4 sols and another to get a Rev button ! None in seven years ! Should be good for another post or two ! I'll be watching. Good luck MR

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love those sites you drive by many times and never ask for permission...but like your hunt it can surely pay off to ASK, one thing is for sure, you guys are keeping me motivated until I can get out...great finds there buddy!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta like that. That's about the best condition for an RP I have ever dug, so pretty good in my books. And I bet the 4 Sols is just as good too.... if I ever find one!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta like that. That's about the best condition for an RP I have ever dug, so pretty good in my books. And I bet the 4 Sols is just as good too.... if I ever find one!

We know they're there...the first one I found was in your back yard!

Last edited:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds, especially the RP. Same thing happened to me with USA button. Got a "nickel" signal at 2". Thought it would be a shotgun casing. Turned out to be an $800 button. I too, almost passed it by. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread