New Site Yields Silver

carolinachief

Oct 31, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my eye on a promising spot that consists of an old country store/gas station and a couple of old houses. Thursday evening I rode by and the owner was mowing the yard next door. This was my chance. I stopped and chatted with him for a few minutes, told him about my hobby and asked for permission. I got a "YES". He then gave me a little history of the buildings. The store was built around 1950 and the houses were built between 1925 and 1940. He then told me that the area behind them was where the post office used to sit. This post office was shut down in 1900. He told me that his father used to plow the garden which was right on the spot and after plowing he would walk along and pick up coins out of the soil. I was stoked but I was on the way to a meeting so could not hunt right then. I made it for my first hunt Friday evening and dug trash, lincoln cents, nickel, dime, a 1934 wheat, a 1947 Rosie, and the ugliest Mercury dime I have ever seen. The site produced silver but not of the age I was hoping for. The digging here is some of the easiest ever. It is fine and sand like after you get through the grass. Makes me think the older coins may have sunk below the depth where I can reach them with my detector. I am gonna try and get back there today and find more silver. More posts to follow.

Attachments

• 06-22-07 Finds.jpg
    06-22-07 Finds.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 583
  • 06-22-07 Finds 001.jpg
    06-22-07 Finds 001.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 584
Upvote 0

Lost Addict

May 25, 2007
Elizabethtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with Sun Ray DX-1 probe; Minelab E-Trac & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to see that Merc looking so bad.
Oh well, I'm sure the next one you find will be flawless.
Take care and as always happy hunting.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that merc has seen better days but still a nice find ! lets you know there may be more there and in better shape i hope ;) congrats to you

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Shame about the Merc; hope when you go back there you find some Mercs in Fine condition. Be a shame if the coins have sunk beyond range. Did you try where the guy used to plow? Plowing might have kept them up higher. Good luck and keep us posted.

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
With a site like that, I would turn the discrimination to 0, and crank your
sensitivity as high as you can without falsing. That will get you a bit deeper.
Yep... that's an ugly merc! :)

HH Slabman

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Nice finds carolinachief... I bet that are lots of coins and possibly some trade tokens...

HH Robert

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Thanks for the great story carolinachief... Sounds like a great spot... Hopefully the coins are not to deep for the detector you're using... Good luck...

I agree about the ugliness of that merc... Yuck....

HH Robert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread