New Site Yields Trojan Horse, And An Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening Everyone;
Finally after eyeballing this place all summer it went up for sale..........and I know the Realtor ;D Talked to Todd this morning and he said, Go ahead :headbang: The house dates from at least 1870 because it's on my Platte map and I forgot to ask him how old it really was. This was a operating farm complete with privy. 7 buildings in all. You can see where the original home was just brick. Then 2 additions were added on. One older with old wood and lead paint and one during more modern times. Maybe I can arrange for a privy dig too. Since it's in town it may be a good one. ::)

This place was originally owned by George McDonald. I don't know if J.A. McDonald were brothers ( the 1834 house I hunted for 14 months) I started off by digging some old wheat's around the house. A little frustrated I headed out into the front yard. 2 pocket spills. One with 2 wheat's and one with 4 and a War nickle. I really focused my attention to how a person would come and go from the house. It worked. I shot a straight line from the front porch to the sidewalk. If you had to go up town in those days how would you go? Not hard to figure out. My first target at 6 inches was a Mint SLQ from 1928. We all like to toot our horns a little but this SLQ is one of the finest dug coins I have laid eyes on. The reeded edges are sharp. No wear whatsoever. Check out how fine and black the soil is here. I mean Black!! The next 3 targets were 2 Rosie's and a Merc. Then 5 Wheat's and a 1945 War Nickle. I haven't dug one of these in a long time. Also found another marble. No Idea on how old it is :dontknow: And no, That horse is not gold :D I just had to say that to get your attention ;D It's brass because it's heavy. May be copper but I think brass

I still have a lot of ground to cover but it's looking like a hot spot for sure. All of the Wheats (9) except for 3 were low 1900's. Also dug was what I thought was a golden horsey thingy. My heart raced when I scratched the dirt off. I'll have to do some more looking over on this one. Dug another lead seal, lipstick tube, Winchester shotgun brass, an old pocket knife, and a piece of copper. This has been the best day I have had in a while for silver. I shall return Wed. and see if I can't raise the silver level.

Thanks for looking and enjoy all of the pics. I like to take pictures. Pictures are like reading a good book. Enjoy Ron

003-32.jpg

004-31.jpg

005-32.jpg

006-33.jpg

007-35.jpg

008-34.jpg

014-27.jpg

015-23.jpg

016-20.jpg

017-21.jpg

023-11.jpg

042-5.jpg

035-5.jpg

024-11.jpg

010-37.jpg

011-33.jpg

012-29.jpg

013-30.jpg

026-9.jpg

027-10.jpg

025-11.jpg

028-7.jpg

029-7.jpg

030-7.jpg

031-5.jpg

032-6.jpg

033-5.jpg

034-5.jpg

036-5.jpg

037-4.jpg

039-5.jpg

045-2.jpg

044-3.jpg

Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: New Site Yields Gold Trojan Horse, Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More

JerDfx said:
Nice finds ron

That quarter is just sick. I've been lucky enough to find them like that also. It's a real thrill to get one like that. That little horse is awesome to.

HH Jer

Thanks Jeremy :icon_sunny:

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New Site Yields Gold Trojan Horse, Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More

Thats on beautiful Quarter! congrats my friend!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great hunt and finds!

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

WOW!!! THAT SLQ,,, is by far the best I have seen on here!!!! :headbang: killer bunch of finds!!

Congrats!!!!

arthur

RONC(OR)

Aug 28, 2006
Eugene ,OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac/ X-8-X-1/ /Excalibur 2/AuqaHog ~yayer

Nice finds congrats :headbang:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New Site Yields Gold Trojan Horse, Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And Mo

Great post and pictures. Not bad looking silver at all. The coin is in great shape.That place needed no fertilizer thats for sure. :thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That SLQ sure looks great. :thumbsup:

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage

Unbelievable SLQ !!! You ain't kidding brother. That's beautiful. WTG.
Very nice.
Mike in NJ

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Mike95inNJ said:
Unbelievable SLQ !!! You ain't kidding brother. That's beautiful. WTG.
Very nice.
Mike in NJ

Thanks Mike and other comments. Ron :icon_sunny:

whitesPA

Jul 6, 2005

nice haul . love the slq. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

whitesPA said:
nice haul . love the slq. :icon_thumleft:
Thanks for all of the replies and comments :icon_sunny:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Great finds and post :thumbsup: Check the date on that SLQ really close, if it's an 8 over 7 it's an even better find then you think. Congrats,

HH Charlie

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

savant365 said:
Great finds and post :thumbsup: Check the date on that SLQ really close, if it's an 8 over 7 it's an even better find then you think. Congrats,

HH Charlie

Nope. Just checked it and it's a crisp 8 :-\ Thanks Charlie

kozyman2

May 18, 2009
Mercer County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro

Great finds Craz. You take the Ace to the max don't you? :headbang:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

Ron,

I'm so happy for you!!!!!!! That SLQ is just fantastic. You must have been thrilled to see that reeded edge!!! The detail on that coin is sick.

I definitely need to go hunting with you some day - if we ever end up in the same state for a few days LOL

Jim

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

time4me said:
Ron,

I'm so happy for you!!!!!!! That SLQ is just fantastic. You must have been thrilled to see that reeded edge!!! The detail on that coin is sick.

I definitely need to go hunting with you some day - if we ever end up in the same state for a few days LOL

Jim
Thanks, Jim. The one time I was in your state your were on the East coast :-\ We'll get one in someday, I'm sure. Thanks for the invitation

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome job buddy, lots of great finds!!! I love it when the SLQ's come out lookin like the day they were dropped!!!! :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TreasureFiend said:
Awesome job buddy, lots of great finds!!! I love it when the SLQ's come out lookin like the day they were dropped!!!! :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

Thanks TF. Get back in that woods where you left off before the rain. I heard a jet. Sounds like you are near Ohare airport or in the flight path ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread