New sluice and it's spring time !!

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jeff and fellow prospectors. I had a nice talk with you Saturday Jeff, we'll have to hit the water soon.

My new Gold Hog sluice arrived today. An amazing journey from Doc; Beginning in Bogart, Ga., Doraville, Ga., San Pablo, Ca., Anderson, Ca. Eureka, Ca., Fort Dick, Ca.

Below is a picture of the new sluice in front of the river rock hearth I built, which Jeff mentioned. Still working on the mantle and perimeter base.
I'm sorry, I just can't get the photos to post upright. Maybe one of you better at computer stuff can rotate these photos.

IMG_2951[1].JPG

Here's a photo of the garden, my trusty Dodge and cabin next door. Notice the new broccoli plants.

IMG_2946[1].JPG

Here's a photo looking the other direction showing the fire pit, garden area and my house. The peach trees are blooming. Spring is here!!!

IMG_2947[1].JPG

I hope you all have a great spring/summer of prospecting and mining. Myself, going on 4 - 10s at work should allow me to get a bunch of home projects and chores done early this year with some long weekends to chase the gold.

Mike

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love it! It looks fantastic, and the sluice looks like it'll be a lot of fun too.

All the best,

Lanny

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice rock hearth -- I like it --- sluice looks good also.
I think your file size was to big maybe that's what makes it sideways ?

mantel.JPG

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Lanny, yes, I'm anxious to try the sluice. Thank you too Bodfish Mike. Are you able to rotate the other photos or are they too big? Is there a suggested file size?

Mike

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That monster looks like it could handle both of us! I'm impressed now and can't wait for later!

edit: Ahhh, the light just came on for me Mike. :wink: It wouldn't happen to be going to a certain precise central location that you may or not have mentioned to me during my latest visit? :-X

Last edited:
OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff, thank you for the rotation of photos. I wonder if it's the way I hold my phone when taking the original photo. I usually hold the phone in an upright, vertical manner. Maybe I should turn it sideways, horizontal?

I may go by and take a look-see at the spot we talked of. See how the fit would be.

Mike

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Delnorter,
I sure am glad the pictures got turned as now I do not need to worry about the fire falling out of the stove, :tongue3:. That is a really nice Hearth, just right for that air tight stove! Good to see someone else likes gardening, that is one of many things I am looking forward to after I've finished this job. Also, nice yard and a good sized piece of ground!.....................63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the outdoor projects done first as here comes winter again Mike. That's some amazing work as it will radiate that heat mighty fine. Herb click on cabin link and be amazed. John

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
63bkpkr;5357068]Hey Delnorter,
I sure am glad the pictures got turned as now I do not need to worry about the fire falling out of the stove, :tongue3:. That is a really nice Hearth, just right for that air tight stove! .....63bkpkr

First LOL of the day! Thanks Herb!

Tip of the day. Since I copied and pasted the pics, you can't enlarge them here BUT...click on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right of the screen (under the X close button.) There you can zoom in on the entire page and make as big as you want for detail. :icon_thumleft:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Jeff, thank you for the rotation of photos. I wonder if it's the way I hold my phone when taking the original photo. I usually hold the phone in an upright, vertical manner. Maybe I should turn it sideways, horizontal?

I may go by and take a look-see at the spot we talked of. See how the fit would be.

Mike

Yep, turning the phone may work. Take 4 of same pics and send them (to my hotmail address) and I'll tell you how to hold your phone. :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Herb, good to hear from you. I enjoy your writing.

Yes, the pictures put upright are kinder to my neck as well as keeping the fire in place. The hearth is made of small flat river stones I hauled up from the mouth of the Smith River in five gallon buckets. I'd never done any rock or masonry projects before but hey, nothing ventured huh?

Gardening is one of my true pleasures. I raise a wide variety of vegetables along with boysenberries, loganberries, numerous herbs, King apples and Frost peaches. I not only enjoy the gardening, but my wife and I extend the season's bounty by canning and or dehydrating much of it. With deer and the many fish taken each season and cutting the firewood for that wood stove, we have it pretty good here in Nor Cal.

We do have a nice yard. There are fairly large redwoods in back (maybe 150' tall). I'll take some pictures of them and the garden as it grows down the road.

Mike

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John,

I'll tell you what John, winter hasn't left yet. We are in another pretty good storm again the last few days. The power was out Thursday night and Friday morning. We were just fine with a couple old hurricane lanterns and the wood stove. Even after all these years, it's still kind of exciting when a big storm hits. Having such tall trees within striking distance of the house is a little unnerving though.

Ya, projects to finish indoors as well as outside. I'm thinking I feel a fever coming on though and you know what the cure is. Uh huh!

Hope you're feeling better John,

Mike

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Jeff, I'll try that phone rotation remedy. I was going to see if you wanted to take a quick look see of the new spot, just pans and hand tools, but I was called in to work over the weekend. Not many rocks or slides on the highway, but quite a few trees and limbs from the high winds.

Mike

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure hasn't. We didn't lose power but it snowed in town in my neck of NorCal. Glad I didn't plant anything early!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thumbs up on the new equipment and the green thumb!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
delnorter,
Correct, nothing ventured nothing gained though I must admit for a first try that looks might nice and as John indicated it will reflect the heat well as well as store some of it.

The bounty you and your wife gain from your land as well as the foraging you do each season has and will serve you well. My brother & Sis In Law live in Eagle River Alaska, they have two freezers in the garage that my brother keeps rather full with Moose & Salmon for starters and at times some Antelope as well as Buffalo. He has some producing apple trees in the yard though the Moose tend to eat them. So the home gardens and foraging pay off especially with the canning so you have good food all year long! And the fruit pies, yum!

Out of curiosity, as you burn wood you must also cut and split it - what brand of chain saw do you prefer?...............63bkpkr

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really liking the river rock hearth! My wife wants a small ornamental wishing well in the yard and I'm thinking about loading up the truck with some rock from the claim and building one similar to how you did. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks again Jeff, I'll try that phone rotation remedy. I was going to see if you wanted to take a quick look see of the new spot, just pans and hand tools, but I was called in to work over the weekend. Not many rocks or slides on the highway, but quite a few trees and limbs from the high winds.

Mike

Just looked at the 10 day Mike and it looks like you'll be busy! UGH! Saturday looks nice anyway...if it happens. I have rain gear and I ain't afraid to use it, Dammit! :BangHead:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USCA0395:1:US

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread