new/small scale CRHers! whats your strategy?

chrissm14

Apr 28, 2013
Ive been Crhing for about 3 months now and its pretty addicting. I only get about 50 $ worth of rolls every few days, so I was wondering if anyone else does it on a small scale like me? I usually get dimes and nickels but occasionally quarters and pennies. So far I've found 3 silver quarters and 2 silver dimes. I found one quarter in the vending machine at work, and I also found a war nickel in another vending machine. Usually I will open a roll, rim check a few then go through each one and look for anything unusual and put them in a small jar and reroll the rest. I keep nickels dated 1959 and earlier, and any coins that have errors. Does anyone else collect errors too? I usually look at the unusual ones with my loupe later and decide to keep it or not. I do find that I have trouble identifying double dies from machine doubling, does anyone have any tips? My loupe is 10x should I get something stronger? Please share your thoughts /strategies everyone!

Upvote 0

jwb

Greenie
Apr 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm really new to this as well, bought a few rolls last week of dimes and looked through all of my coin jars around the house. Found some Wheats and some pre 60 Nickles.

Picked up 6 rolls of dimes, 1 roll of quarters and 5 rolls of nickles at lunch. Will dig through them and post my finds later.

I think the smaller stuff is the way to go unless you got enough to purchase boxes of halves from what I've read.

Might try out pennies too for copper and wheats, I have already separated my pre 82's and wheats out of the zincs. More looking to have some silver for an investment though.

OP
OP
C

chrissm14

Apr 28, 2013
I was keeping copper pennies until I found out that its illegal to melt them. I use a 10x loupe and when I look at every coin with it my eyes start to hurt after a while. Not to mention I end up staring at every coin for like 2 minutes because I think I saw something lol. I'm curious to know what other ppl do when looking for error coins?

UNIVBFan

Apr 2, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a small and infrequent Crh'r myself. Not limited by $, more so by time. I try to get halves whenever I can, if not, I'll grab some dimes and pennies. I collect as well as hunt errors and silver. I go with the attitude of, do what you like. Everyone has their way of doing things, but you need yo do what you want to, otherwise the fun isn't in it and it becomes a job.

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to the bank on weekends and pick up anything i can except quarters with $1000. Im going to try doing $100 in pennies, $200-$300 in nickels, and $500 in dimes a week if i can. For $50 i have no idea what i would do. I would stick to dimes unless you have a good place to sell pre60 nickels. Then sell some silver so you have a bigger bank roll. I would try to sell as much of my finds as i could just so i could find more.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
You are wrong... A silver dime has 0.07234 oz of silver in it... a silver war nickel has 0.0563 oz of silver in it. A war nickel contains 0.01604 oz less than a silver dime(or only $0.38 less) nickels ahve the most silver in them in terms of silver-per-face value.

$1.00 in silver dimes has 0.7234 oz of silver (or $17.36 in silver)
$1.00 in war nickels has 1.126 oz of silver (or $27.02 in silver).

When you sell, you will get more for the dimes.

OP
OP
C

chrissm14

Apr 28, 2013
Just wanted to update, found another silver dime just now! 1963-d. I think I've found 3 silver dimes from my bank here in town, and I've only gotten about 10 rolls from them so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread