New spot brings another first!!! 2-cent piece!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, I know I shouldn't be on TN on Christmas eve but I'm pretty excited and Santa is still not here. ;D

After work today, I started my maiden voyage at a new spot I just received permission to detect. This house was built just after the Civil War. The house sits at a busy intersection, and used to be rented out so I wasn't expecting much more than beer cans and pull tabs. BOY WAS I SURPRISED!!! :o
Right off the bat I started digging wheat pennies which was a good sign. :icon_thumleft: I dug old relics too which was another good sign. I dug a Merc, a Buff, plus much more. My best find came though at the end of my hunt as I was walking quickly towards a field area to detect. In the front yard I got a signal that was deep and I could tell it was going to be a coin just by the tone. At about 6" I saw a round green coin in the hole but had no clue what it was. :dontknow: It was too small to be a large cent, and I didn't see anything on it but a shield. I had a feeling it was an 1800's coin but didn't know what. :icon_scratch: Once I got home I cleaned the dirt off with only water & a Q-tip, and I could see a big "2" on the back.
I grabbed my coin book and sure enough, a 2-cent piece!!! This was another first for me.
That now makes an 1850 LC, 1860 IH fatty, and a 186? 2-cent piece within about a month. Ya-hoooo!
I don't know what it is, but Nov & Dec always seem to be good to me. :icon_thumleft:

I think I did pretty good on my first time at this spot. There was a great variety still there to be found. I'll be hitting it again this weekend I hope.

My finds today were:

*186? 2-cent piece

*1923 Buff nickel

*1944 Merc

*1948 Netherlands (?) 1-cent Is that what this is? No idea why this coin would be here. :dontknow:

*Wheats (12 total) - 1918 , 20 (x2) , 40 , 44 , 46 , 50 , 51 , 52 , 53 (x2) , 54.

*Silver decorative piece (looks old & like real silver)

*Wedding band

*Skeleton key, oval pin , Hubley car front , Hubley truck rear wheels , hatchet head , iron fence top, pocket knife, watch piece, etc.

Thanks for looking & take it easy tonight on the egg-nog. :occasion14: ;D
Goodnight to all, and to all a good night.
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-154S.JPG
    MVC-154S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,880
  • MVC-155S.JPG
    MVC-155S.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,849
  • MVC-156S.JPG
    MVC-156S.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,866
  • MVC-157S.JPG
    MVC-157S.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,869
  • MVC-158S.JPG
    MVC-158S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,863
  • MVC-159S.JPG
    MVC-159S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,860
  • MVC-160S.JPG
    MVC-160S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,858
  • MVC-161S.JPG
    MVC-161S.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 1,844
  • MVC-162S.JPG
    MVC-162S.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,862
  • MVC-163S.JPG
    MVC-163S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,835
  • MVC-164S.JPG
    MVC-164S.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,840
  • MVC-165S.JPG
    MVC-165S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,844
Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
fantastic finds. Merry Christmas, and Happy hunting.....

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tymcmurray said:
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!

Clean that 2 center carefully!

http://www.justgometaldetecting.com/

Thanks Ty.
I hope you get a stocking full of Spanish fly silver for Christmas since you have been a good boy this year. ;D :icon_thumleft:

Great web site, thanks for the link.
-Doug-

Old River said:
fantastic finds. Merry Christmas, and Happy hunting.....

Thanks OR. :icon_thumleft:
Same to you,
MM

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats' on the 2 center!! Always nce to find one of those!
Merry Christmas! :hello:
Dale

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ia.FurTrade said:
Congrats' on the 2 center!! Always nce to find one of those!
Merry Christmas! :hello:
Dale

Thanks Dale. I now have a one cent & two cent, so hopefully I can move up to a 3 cent next. ;D
-Doug-

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's always great to get that surprise find at a site. They stay with us longer. :icon_thumright:

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It must be nice to still get out and find them old coins.
You don't have any snow yet ? That's all we get is snow rain more snow. :thumbsup: :wav: ;D
Merry Christmas

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Nice finds, Congrats on all the recent firsts :thumbsup: Merry Christmas.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunting. I have seen my partner Weaver the big butt head dig 2 - 2 centers.

I want one bad. Congratulations on yours.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First a Fatty and then this.....Almost should have saved these for the New Year ::) No stopping ya Bud,Great Dig's Doug.......Merry X-Mas :icon_santa:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do believe that your luck has returned as of late. Some great coins. I believe you have stumbled on a virgin site or at least lightly hunted. WTG and hit it hard over the holidays. MC & HNY, Quindy.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Dug, GREAT news on the new site producing already! :headbang: GREAT!!! :notworthy: :headbang: :headbang:

The two-center is just a hint of what else is hiding in that yard. That ground, I bet, has the strong scent of Seated silver. :headbang: You will get one from there! You will, Dug, you will!!

Sir Kyle

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and finds! I'm surprised that is your first two center considering what you find. I see them found occasionally but not often, I wonder why, low mintage? HH, Mike

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rodgerdodger said:
It must be nice to still get out and find them old coins.
You don't have any snow yet ? That's all we get is snow rain more snow. :thumbsup: :wav: ;D
Merry Christmas

No snow here RD. Rain today on Christmas, but back to mid-50's & sunny on Saturday. You can bet I'll be out detecting. ;D
-MM-

civilman1 said:
First a Fatty and then this.....Almost should have saved these for the New Year ::) No stopping ya Bud,Great Dig's Doug.......Merry X-Mas :icon_santa:

Thanks Joe. I've been lucky enough to check a few off my list before the end of the year. Now where is all that silver hiding? :dontknow:
Merry Christmas to you & Mini Me,
Doug

VOL1266-X said:
I do believe that your luck has returned as of late. Some great coins. I believe you have stumbled on a virgin site or at least lightly hunted. WTG and hit it hard over the holidays. MC & HNY, Quindy.

Thanks Q. I think this is Dmans favorite type of hunting spot isn't it? ;D
Lots of area to cover still, and another pasture area to grid at this new spot too. :icon_thumleft:
Merry Christmas buddy,
Doug

KylePA said:
Dug, GREAT news on the new site producing already! :headbang: GREAT!!! :notworthy: :headbang: :headbang:
The two-center is just a hint of what else is hiding in that yard. That ground, I bet, has the strong scent of Seated silver. :headbang: You will get one from there! You will, Dug, you will!!
Sir Kyle

Kyle,
I am over due for something seated, walking, standing, or even squating. :tongue3: Come on silver! :icon_thumleft:
Merry Christmas to you & Kirk in Colonial PA. :icon_thumleft:
-Dug-

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL and THANKS FOR THE REPLIES. VERY MUCH ENJOYED. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread