New suction nozzle

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
Well just finished fabricating my new suction nozzle today and I hope physics is on my side. Made it for a fraction of a steel one so if it doesn't work then no harm done. I think it will work. Looks like It does something right? Lol

image-1872387274.jpg

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
what size did you restrict the high pressure waterwater line to the "Y"? if you didnt restrict the size itll maybe marginally work. and im assuming that its a 2 inch line. what size pump is going to be used on this??

OP
OP
frost10509

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
what size did you restrict the high pressure waterwater line to the "Y"? if you didnt restrict the size itll maybe marginally work. and im assuming that its a 2 inch line. what size pump is going to be used on this??

Restricted to 1.5 in from 2in. My pump is 7hp.
Thanks for the advice.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it works, and it looks like it should, you will likely find that the plastic dirt sucking end will be worn down quickly once it is used directly in the dirt gravel. Putting a piece of metal tubing over the input of the suction nozzle should help. I must admit I've never thought of making the nozzle out of plastic pipe, great idea.............63bkpkr

OP
OP
frost10509

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
As long as it works, and it looks like it should, you will likely find that the plastic dirt sucking end will be worn down quickly once it is used directly in the dirt gravel. Putting a piece of metal tubing over the input of the suction nozzle should help. I must admit I've never thought of making the nozzle out of plastic pipe, great idea.............63bkpkr

Yeah, I have a metal guard that will screw onto the end essentially as a classifier to keep the size of the material passing through the nozzle to a manageable size. Did a trial run this past weekend and it worked pretty well. I ran my pump at half throttle because I didn't want to explode my nozzle with too many PSI's. I think once I up the throttle it should really suck! But in a good way! Lol

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
no big deal John! as soon as he sees how it works, he will get rid of it and goto a bigger dredge/metal nozzel.just as soon as the hook is set for the fever!:)

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be carefull using the pvc as in cold water turns very brittle and will ruin your day if you drop it.Look thru the classifieds or online and get one that will last for years no matter what you put it through.Happy Hunting and be warned once the fever sets in you will want to go bigger and better.

OP
OP
frost10509

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
Colossal fail on the suction nozzle design. So yes you guys were right. I did break down and ordered a good ol' American made metal one. However, the sluice I fabricated from G.G.'s designs worked like a champ. I should have my new suction nozzle complete with hose and assemblies by the end o the week.
At least I have a killer ray gun prop for my Halloween costume this year. Frickin' physics!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread