Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I took the plunge and picked up a used Tejon for a great price.
It should be here in a week and ive been watching some videos on youtube trying to get an idea of what to expect, and hopefully get a little jump start on the learning curve.
Ive heard great things about the Tesoros, and ever since I started relic hunting, I have wanted to try the Tejon.
Hoping to go back to some sites and see if I can sniff out anything left behind, and maybe get some mad depth.
For example:
I have one site I was recently pulling some civil war items around 8-10 inches, after maxing out settings on the XP I was actually finding better variety around 11-12", but they were faint whispers. If I hadn't been digging shallower minnies in this spot, I might have passed on these faint tones.

Was hoping to try a diff machine and see what happens, and just see what else was missed at other sites.
Who knows, the Tejon might replace the Deus on the Relic Hunts.
Just wanting to give it a shot and see what happens, and I couldn't resist for the price.

So anyhow I just wanted to say hello , and also ask for some advice about where to start.
The Tejon is coming with the 9x8 and the 5.75 coil. I was thinking about adding the larger SEF Butterfly coil in the future, just beacause I really liked the one I had on my old etrac, but I don't know.
Was wondering if there are any good reads/links on this machine, and also if there are any good videos to watch for discrim and super-tuning.
I saw a lot of videos on youtube, but not really sure who I should be listening to, and who I should be avoiding. Just don't want to get steered in the wrong direction.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 5.75 may become your favorite coil. It goes really deep and does a great job at unmasking good targets at sites that are loaded with nails. Set your discrimination just high enough to barely discriminate out nails and dig all repeatable audio signals. I run my sensitivity as high it will go without the detector becoming unstable. Like Terry says, it's important get a good ground balance on the Tejon.

Oh yeah, get the Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors Kindle Edition. It's a must read.

tabman

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Get the new 11" x 8" Widescan for the machine. The main thing is proper ground balance. The Tejon is VERY SENSITIVE. Do not set your sensitivity too high. Read this as well: Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. and best of luck!
Thanks Terry. Lots of info at the link you provided.
It was interesting reading the field tests, and I just found the manual there too, which is pretty nice.
Reading the manual ahead of delivery will definitely help me get started.
Thanks for the advice on the coil too. I know in time I will want a bigger one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 5.75 may become your favorite coil. It goes really deep and does a great job at unmasking good targets at sites that are loaded with nails. Set your discrimination just high enough to barely discriminate out nails and dig all repeatable audio signals. I run my sensitivity as high it will go without the detector becoming unstable. Like Terry says, it's important get a good ground balance on the Tejon.

Oh yeah, get the Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors Kindle Edition. It's a must read.

tabman
Thanks for the advice Tabman. I will have to check out that book.
Im sure I will be on here with more questions after I get started, and I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my inquiry.
I was actually thinking about trading/selling the 5.75" and using that money towards a larger coil, but maybe now I will give it a chance first.
Most of my sites are pretty trashy, so it may be worth keeping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions