New thought on marine life and Oil Spill

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
itmaiden said:
So do you think with the oil spill in the Gulf, that it is going to drive more marine life to include sharks over to the Atlantic side, or to the Carribean ?

What affect do you salvors think that will have on your salvaging and safety ?

itmaiden

The Oceans are dying. Fast.
Nearly every day we hear some more bad news about the Ocean's health. Overfishing, industrial pollution, oil spills, chemicals, plastics.
The Ocean has been used for a long time as a dump for everything bad.
This has to stop.
I love to eat seafood. If we don't stop destroying the Oceans, we will have no more seafood within a few years.
A billion people all around the world live off the Oceans. What are they going to do when the Oceans are dead?

Oceanscience

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO Happy thought, We have entered the hurricane season. What happens when the first one hits? That oil will be all over the east coast. Back to land treasures or salvage peeps.

As far as man's destruction of the Oceans, Fortunately Mother Nature has a way of correcting such situations, but it may take a lifetime or two, stick around and you will see it.

Don Jose de La Mancha

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sharks in the gulf will eat the fish that died from the oil(poison oil dispersants,pollution)then they will die too.Plankton will die,maybe the whale shark will relocate somewhere else.Any baby fish,turtles,birds that get caught up in the oil will die too.Im sure there will be fishing ban for years to come.Theres not a whole lot we can do unless you want to volunteer to help clean birds and the beaches.Just sit back and hope the loop current takes that mess to cuba or honduras.Or think up a plan or invention to rid the ocean of the oil and you be very rich and famous.I say get everyone in the usa to bring their pets with them to swim in the gulf.Those that have hair on their heads and bodies to soak up the oil.Herds of cattle will work too!

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/oil_spill/docs/Light_Crude_Oil_and_Your_Health.pdf

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Such a twisted idea Fisheye.

The ocean water would need to go through some type of filtering system at this point. The oil on top is one thing, but the oil that goes to deep depths and has already spread out is a serious problem. Maybe engineers, chemists, and the US Navy could get together and develop ships designed just for this purpose, where they have an "on board" industrial facility with equipment that takes in the oil polluted water, separates the oil and sends it to some form of containment (which is puncture proof, spill proof, and will float in the event the ship wrecks).

If the ship is sent to the spill site immediately before the oil disperses too far, this could be ideal for reducing the amount of risk.

itmaiden

FISHEYE said:
I say get everyone in the usa to bring their pets with them to swim in the gulf.Those that have hair on their heads and bodies to soak up the oil.Herds of cattle will work too!

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/oil_spill/docs/Light_Crude_Oil_and_Your_Health.pdf

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you want to take home more than 2 grand a week...then go get a job with one of the environmental services firms that are mobilizing down there. They feed you breakfast, lunch. You get cash per day for spending money. Plus your hours. 12 on 12 off 7 days a week.

They are using some form of degreasers. I don't agree with that either...but for different reasons. Its more to do with keeping the cleanup easy as possible. A dispersant or degreasing agent will only may matters worse in the long run.

Its also nice to have a"marine toxicologist" put a rubber stamp on the hazards associated with the degreaser...but I beg to differ. More likely than not its the gases and fumes from the crude oil. Crude is unrefined and loaded with benzine's and real bad stuff. Any VOCs they are measuring are from the oil, not the soap.

People are looking to sue. I don't blame them. But to say soap is making you stoned and eating your lungs away is a tough cookie to chew....again more likely from no wearing a respirator in an area where there is lots of fresh crude oil.

If its outside safe limit for respirator ...then supplied air could be needed. I am sure that in some thick patches of that stuff its not safe to breath even through a respirator...an would require supplied air. HH -Joe

FISHEYE said:
Heres a reason not to help with the oil spill.The dispersants BP is useing is toxic to humans.It can KILL you.

http://www.wesh.com/video/23616375/index.html

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Joe, I already checked on getting a job there. If you want to make that kind of money you must have the 40 hour HAZWOPER certificate. Its really dangerous work and not good for your health.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I do it. It sucks. I mean sucks. Most companies will train you an pay for the hazwopper. Its an easy cert to get. Its not needed to do any of that work down there...but osha might be making it mandatory.

Google clean harbors...call the nearest office to you. The process takes 3 weeks to get hired. Thats just one of the firms down there. Many more to choose from.

You are correct though... work and industry as a whole sucks and is dangerous. And bad for your health. Its why I wanna hit megabucks every day lol.

HH Good luck. -Joe

Salvor6 said:
Joe, I already checked on getting a job there. If you want to make that kind of money you must have the 40 hour HAZWOPER certificate. Its really dangerous work and not good for your health.

jlasserton

May 16, 2010
Nashville
No matter what happens in the gulf, the marine life is going to get destroyed. It is devastating to think about how humans and animals will suffer because of this incident. A friend of mine works as a server at a seafood restaurant on the gulf and there is talks about the restaurant closing because of the damage to the seafood and the lack of tourists.

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Many of the restaurants along the Gulf depend on "fresh catch". It is going to cripple many of them and also the seafood markets. Many poor people depend on the fishing for their food.

But I suspect, states like Florida will downplay the health hazards and allow beachgoers in the water. Are the hospitals familiar with the type of health problems that could show up in the emergency rooms from this ? Doubt it.

itmaiden

jlasserton said:
No matter what happens in the gulf, the marine life is going to get destroyed. It is devastating to think about how humans and animals will suffer because of this incident. A friend of mine works as a server at a seafood restaurant on the gulf and there is talks about the restaurant closing because of the damage to the seafood and the lack of tourists.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread