New to coin roll hunting

jpuck

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am new to coin roll hunting. I have bought a few rolls from the bank before and found only 1 silver dime. Today I got my first $1000 box of halves from my local credit union thanks to my tax return. I pulled 5 rolls to search at work and found one 40%. I was so excited. After coming home and searching all of the rolls, I came up with a total of 15 40% halves. Not too bad for about 90 minutes of searching. I think I am hooked. It seems like that the rolls from the credit union came from US Bank. I will turn them into another credit union tomorrow and then order another $1000 from BofA and see how that turns out.

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Really good! I say that because my average has been about 1 - 40% per 2 boxes, for the last 2 years or so.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to know where you are getting boxes of $1000 in halves? Maybe that is why all the boxes of $500 in halves have not had any silver lately. They are in these mysterious $1000 boxes!

OP
OP
J

jpuck

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$1000 boxes

I want to know where you are getting boxes of $1000 in halves? Maybe that is why all the boxes of $500 in halves have not had any silver lately. They are in these mysterious $1000 boxes!

I am in Oregon and I get them from First Tech Fed credit union. They come in $500 bags of rolls and the min they will order is $1000. Sorry if I used the incorrect terminology, still new to this. I also just ordered $1000 from BofA today and should have them in a week. Will let you know how that turns out.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15- 40%s is an awesome haul congrats... Hopefully those numbers stay consistent for you..

OP
OP
J

jpuck

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I might be hooked

15- 40%s is an awesome haul congrats... Hopefully those numbers stay consistent for you..

I should get my next rolls next week. I think I am hooked already. Not many hobbies can net you $70 for an hour worth of work.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I should get my next rolls next week. I think I am hooked already. Not many hobbies can net you $70 for an hour worth of work.

Nice score there! Just remember, you had beginers luck, the inevidable skunks will show up, if only it was just that easy. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
J

jpuck

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas really isnt an issue for me. All of the banks that I use are on my way to work so I just stop by there when I am going to work. Gas I was going to burn anyways.

OP
OP
J

jpuck

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So finally got my $1000 from BofA which took about 3 weeks. I searched through 3/4 of the first box with nothing. Will have to check the rest after work. I did see the coins are really marked up so someone has gone through these at one time. I hope I at least find something.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So finally got my $1000 from BofA which took about 3 weeks. I searched through 3/4 of the first box with nothing. Will have to check the rest after work. I did see the coins are really marked up so someone has gone through these at one time. I hope I at least find something.

Someone has searched all halves. Don't be thrown by marked coins. They are in every box. It's what gets mixed in with them that counts.

OP
OP
J

jpuck

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well finally went through all $1000 and no silver. I was able to find a 1991 Kennedy Proof coin. I am not sure how rare it is to find one in a roll but I was pretty excited.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Well finally went through all $1000 and no silver. I was able to find a 1991 Kennedy Proof coin. I am not sure how rare it is to find one in a roll but I was pretty excited.

Pretty common.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions