New to Colorado Detecting

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,New to Treasurenet. I've been collecting cartridges and older guns for 63 years. I'll never be an expert but have a great knowledge of old American cartridges etc. Started Metel detecting with a Garrett Hunter in 1964. Recently moved close to old mining camp of Rosita , CO. where I have only two coins, but thousands of old cartridge cases. Everything from 22 Shorts to 56-52 Spencers, even a Westley Richards No. 1 Musket ctg.. Lots of suspender Buckles/braces and all sort of interesting trinkets. Will try to help where I can. Best Wishes

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well welcome from up here in Frisco, CO, pistol-pete. Bein from Oklahoma, I know who the real Pistol Pete was, so even if you have ties to OSU, I'll talk to you anyway. I find very few old coins in the mining areas, but tons of spent bullets and cartridge shells. Could you tell me if there's a way to tell a modern cast .44 calibre lead ball from one say over a 100 years old? (Or any calibre cast lead ball, for that matter. I find a lot of .44's)

OP
OP
pistol-pete

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RGINN. Yes spent 50+ years in Stillwater, OK. Knew the real pistol Pete and even went shooting with him about a year before he died. A great ole fellow. I went to OAMC now OUS and retired from there in2002. I find that what you say is most true. Thousands of old shell casings, suspender buckles and other trinkets. Only found three coins so far a 1867 penny, 1868 Nickel and 1888 Dime. One each three days running and not another since. Hope to hear from you. Chris U.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm probably one of the few people on here who knows just how cool that is, you knowin the real Pistol Pete (Frank Eaton). I think he was a little windy at times, but one of those folks that actually makes me proud to be from Oklahoma. (Willie Nelson, a Texan, outright stole his look, and nobody today knows it) My buddy Michael Entz was one of the 'Pistol Pete' mascots when he went to OSU. Which of course didn't help their team any, but a good mascot will distract the crowd from poor playin some. I guess that was their reasoning. (haha)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions