New to CRH world

joshmd5132

Aug 23, 2009
So I found a 1962 dime and did some research last week. First I found info about silver coins still in circulation, then found this AWESOME forum. That was last Thursday since then I have gone through 2 boxes of nickels ( 2 buffalo's and 2 silver's) 150$ in dimes ( 1 silver) and about 70$ in halves (1 40%). Quick question for the vet's of the forum; do you ever clean your silver with baking soda? Would you advise cleaning them at all? If you ever want/need an excuse at a bank teller you can tell them that you are hosting a poker night, when I bought my box of nickels today the teller asked me if I was playing poker tonight, I smiled and told her "something like that" and she laughed. I have read about a hundred post on this site, and pointers to a newbie would be great. Thank you and Good luck to all who search for silver.

Josh

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

joshmd5132

Aug 23, 2009
A few more questions. I have been keeping all pre 1960 nickels, is this a good habit or not really? If it is a good habit what is the benefit?

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
WELCOME TO THE MADNESS!!! :headbang:

OK Cleaning coins is not a good idea, BUT I do clean some of my silver coins especially 40%ers because they are worth just melt value anyways so you are not going to lose numismatic value on them. I do it for the sole purpose I put them in 2x2's for my kids and put them in a 3 ring binder, they look so great to see all the shiny silver coins. Keeping the pre 1960's nickels is a personal preference, I have about $500 worth saved. I was saving all of them but I was tieing up too much funds so I then filtered out the really circulated ones and only kept the higher grade pre-60 nickels. I do keep all of the 1938 - 1939's.
This forum is a great place that has a lot of knowledgable people willing to help and share information. Enjoy the hunt...

Jason

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Welcome!

I wouldn't clean any coin. It isn't good for the hobby in my opinion. Unless you just want a shiny set to display, I would just leave them as you find them. Any cleaning kills the numismatic value.

As for your pre 60's nickel set, I would try to put back at least a roll of each year and mint mark. That is if you want to wrap up that much money into it. Like Shake-N-Bake mentioned, they can quickly eat up your funds. You will find many of these oldies, just keep the best and release the rest. There might be a market for them in the future, so I would keep some if I were you.

Good luck with your hunting and keep the questions coming.

cmhoose

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
welcome Josh. many of your questions can be answered by reading the very first post "beginers guide to coin roll hunting + terms" anything else just ask away :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread